Prologue

3 years prior

"Why won't this stupid thing work?"

My fingers massaged my temples as a headache began brewing. I've been working on this million dollar prototype for week now and I still couldn't get the right configurations.

I slumped over my desk, momentarily giving up, staring straight into the soul of the prototype, hoping that the answers would just jump right out and pop straight into my brain.

"Glaring won't make it any easier,"startled by the intruder, I jumped and turned around instantly. Ouch, whiplash.

"Thank God, it's just you. I thought you were that uptight supervisor again."

"Trust me, if I knew he was anywhere near here, I would be out of here in a heart beat," and that my dear friends is my best friend, Hannah. Lovely, isn't she.

Hannah and I have been best friends since we were born, practically. Ever since she stole half my lunch in kindergarten and gave me a donut in return, we've been inseparable. What were the chances of us working in the same hospital too. Don't worry, we aren't totally copy cats, she's a nurse and I'm a biomedical engineer.

"Go outside and take break, get some sun, you look almost as dead as Edward Cullen in Twilight."

I held up my finger as sauntered out. "I'm going because I want to, bye chica see you later."

As I left the hospital's administrative office, I decided to take a walk around to get some fresh air and get a little exercise for the day. Rounding the corner of the building I heard soft cries. Well, that's unusual.

Being the curious minx I am, I crept closer to the cries. What cries in a dumpster?

I lifted the top of the dumpster and was stunned to see a little baby covered in blood, shivering and whimpering. I quickly took off my jacket and wrapped the little body, snuggling it closer to me.

"I got you little one, I got you."

My arms were tightly wound around the child as I raced back to the hospital.

"Kara, what's going on?", I ignored her as I dug my nails into her arm and dragged her into her office, slamming the door in the process. Once I turned around, she noticed the little bub in my arms.

"Kara, I told you to take a walk, not steal a baby," she said mockingly, but saw the stern look on my face and quickly sealed her lips.

Hannah was a mid-wife nurse so I trusted her to take care of the child. However, I didn't realise the baby had curled its fingers tightly around my pinky, refusing to let go. As I tried to unravel its chubby little fingers, the bub screamed on the top of its lungs.

"Alright little one, you win." Even without speaking the child had me wrapped around its fingers.

After the check up, Hannah and I cleaned and fed the baby. The child opened its big ocean blue eyes, capturing my attention right away and I knew, right at that moment that our journey together had just begun.

On September 12th, I, Kara Coleman, adopted a little girl that I fished right out from the dumpster.

*****
Hope you liked this chapter!
Vote & Comment if you do☺️