Chapter 23

Kara's POV:

With a blink of an eye, the weekend had passed and the Monday blues were back, flooding my body with dread. I just wanted to lay in bed all day and laze around, maybe be a couch potato for a little while. Despite my 'no can do' attitude, I dragged myself out of bed and into the bathroom to get ready for the day.

Once I was all set, I headed into Brooke's room to wake her up, opening the blinds as well to let the light in.

"Wakey wakey little one."

Brooke groaned, shoving her face into her pillow, shielding herself from the sun's rays.

"Get ready and come down for breakfast okay," I said, placing her outfit on the side of her bed and giving her a kiss on her head.

I headed down and into the kitchen, grabbing out the frying pan and some ingredients. Eggs and toast it is. I cracked the eggs into the pan and left it there as I sliced up some fruit.

"Morning chica," Hannah greeted, slightly muffled by the scrunchie in her mouth. I greeted her back as she tied up her hair.

"Not having breakfast today?" I asked as she hopped around the kitchen, grabbing an apple from the fridge and taking a big bite out of it.

"No time, gotta rush. I'm late," she said in between mouthfuls. I poured coffee into her portable mug and handed it to her.

"See you later then." I said to her leaving figure.

Not long after, Brooke came down as I helped her onto one of the seats by the kitchen island and served her her breakfast.

"Thank you mummy."

"Your welcome little one."

Ding. I retrieved my phone from my back pocket and clicked on the new notification.

ID: Mum

Hi sweetie, I'm not feeling too well today so I won't be able to take care of Brooke. Sorry sweetie. Have a great day and remember to take breaks in between your work. Love you.

Oh, this might be an issue. Not wanting to worry her, I texted her back and told her it was no problem and asked her to get dad to take her to the doctors as soon as possible. What to do, what to do. Hannah has work, mum is sick, godfather is out of the country currently. I guess I could take her to work with me, hopefully Alessandro will be okay with that.

I thought over a few more options as I ate my breakfast, casually tapping my fingers against the bench top. Yup I got nothing.

"Little one, gran is sick so you'll be coming to work with me," I informed Brooke.

"I can kiss it better," she replied with a worried look on her face. That's what we always did when she fell down or hit herself. I smiled at her concern, she's such a sweetheart.

"I'm sure you can little one but we should let gran rest for today alright." She nodded her head in understanding.

"You can have a day out and play in my office today. Sounds good?"

"Oooo good good, I like mummy's office." She said, clapping her hands in delight.

"Bring along your colouring books and some toys okay," I said as I cleared the dishes off the bench.

"Yes mummy." She replied as she ran along to pack up a bag.

After we got all the essentials we needed from the house, we headed into the car and off to the city.

------

"Morning Russo," I greeted politely as we walked pass his desk by the front.

"Good morning Ms Coleman," he replied before looking down to the human being attached to my leg, "and good morning little Ms Coleman."