Chapter 6

Kara's POV:

Once I reached home, I sent a message to Mr De Lu-. I mean Alessandro.

Hi, the party tonight starts at 6pm, at 135 Rosewood Heights. You are welcome to bring a friend along with you, if you want. I hope to see you later.

- Kara

I couldn't stop thinking of the way Brooke behaved around him. She had never been so clingy to anyone outside the family, let alone a stranger she had just met. I couldn't believe my eyes. He was such a charmer, the way his eyes gazed into mine, seemingly piercing right into my soul. I had barely met him but my body reacted so differently around him. I was not experienced in this department at all. In high school, I was never really interested in boys; they were mostly delinquents, having a pea sized brain. So here I was, 24 years old, never having a boyfriend, never been kissed, never really having any social interaction with boys in general. Besides the men in my family of course.

My phone beeped. He replied. That was fast.

See you there, tesoro.

"Kara, hurry up will you, your guests are about to be here soon." My mother said as she hustled and bustled about, adding the finishing touches to the decorations.

Hannah and my parents did a marvellous job with the house, it was absolutely beautiful. The edges of the house were lined with fairy lights, rose gold shimmery streamers, falling against the walls like curtains. Champagne glasses were lined up nicely on the kitchen island which was covered in tiered centre pieces filled with intricately designed cupcakes, cookies, finger foods, etc.

"Kara! Your godfather's on the phone," my dad said as he tossed the phone into my hands, rushing off to calm my overly stressed mother.

"Hey uncle Stefano," I beamed.

"Hey snowflake, congratulations you little brainiac! I knew some of my intelligence must have rubbed off on you," He chuckled, "I'm sorry I couldn't make it there in time, I got held up in London. The conference is taking a lot longer than expected."

"Thanks uncle Stef, don't sweat it. Nothing interesting happened anyways."

Well I mean except the encounter with Alessandro. But he didn't need to know that. Let's just say my godfather is very stern when it comes to boys, being very overly protective. He always advised me to focus on my studies first, and that boys were a distraction I didn't need in my life. I also remember him saying that he would only let me start dating when I turned 40. A little bit over the top if I say so myself.

"I'll be back in a week, so don't cause any trouble till then," He warned, "we have a lot of pranks to make up for."

"How's my little Brookie?" He asked.

"Good. She's been a little rascal alright." I laughed, "there she is, Brooke, uncle Stefano's on the phone, you wanna say hi?"

She nodded her head vigorously, taking the phone from my hands, chattering away with her favourite granduncle. Well her only granduncle.

Not long after, our guests started arriving, filling the house with laughter and smiles. I had heard about a thousand "congratulations", "you smart cookie", as I thanked them, leading them into the house. My cheeks hurt so much from smiling by the time I politely excused myself from a group of my mother's friends.

"Kara! Finally I've caught you." Hannah said as she huffed, out of breath as she pulled me into her room, "you won't believe who I saw at your graduation ceremony."

I urged her to continue.

"My asshole boss. The one who owns the hospital."

I frowned, clearly confused, not knowing who she was talking about.