Chapter 5

Kara's POV:

"Brooke, sweetheart, we're home." I said, slightly nudging her as I carried her in my arms, walking into the house.

I rubbed her back slowly in circles, humming softly as I kicked off my shoes, leaving them by the front door. I dropped my bag off on the table top and made my way to Brooke's room. I carefully placed her on the bed, as she stirred, raising her head slightly.

"Mummy?" 

"Yes little one. I'm here," I replied, "you go back to sleep sweetheart."

I took off her shoes, followed by her dress, changing her into her warm fluffy purple pyjama shirt and pants. I went into the bathroom, wetting a towel with warm water before dabbing it on her forehead. I moved the baby hairs away from her forehead, kissing her head before tip toeing out of her room, quietly enough not to wake her. She needed her rest, especially after her sugar crash.

After changing into some comfier clothes, I went looking for Hannah in her room. She looked up with her grandma glasses, as I opened her door. She placed the book she was reading down beside her and patted the spot next to her on the bed.

"I have so much to tell you." I groaned as I face-planted next to her, "but first, how was work?"

"Not too bad until some arrogant cocky little asshole walked into the hospital, claiming to own the institution himself." Hannah explained, with an irked expression.

"What a jerk he was. He even dared to call me cupcake." She exclaimed, cringing in disgust, "how rude."

I shared the same expression, pitying her for having such an asswipe of a boss.

"You won't believe what happened to me today." 

"Just tell me already," Hannah prodded.

"Well remember that guy from the club?" I asked.

"The one with cold, dark intense eyes with a look that screamed power and money?" She gasped.

"Yup," I said, popping the p.

"Well, Brooke ate too many cookies while I was in the meeting and puked all over his shoes," I said, feeling embarrassed.

Hannah couldn't keep a straight face to save her life as she burst out laughing. She twisted in the sheets, trapping herself as she rolled onto the floor with a thump. Serves her right for laughing her me.

"Thanks so much Hannah. I'm glad my embarrassing moments have proved to be such an entertainment." I sneered, popping my head over the edge of the bed.

"You must have offended one of the Gods in your past life. No one is ever this unlucky."

"Not helping," I screamed into a pillow, getting frustrated.

"Anyways, he seemed smitten with you at the club," she wiggled her eyebrows, "you've got a hot one there chica, I mean he's your man but damn girl, he looked divine in that suit. I bet he has a six pack hidden under all that glory."

"He's not my man Han," I interrupted, blushing, "there's no way he would even think so especially after today's incident."

His imaged sneaked into my mind as I recalled the way he carried himself, poised and elegant yet rough and rugged at the same time. Like he could win a fight without even lifting a finger. His dark brown eyes held darkness, fearlessness and confidence that could intimidate any opponent he had. His words were firm yet gentle, yet I had a feeling that he didn't speak to everyone like that. The smirk he had seemed to frighten everyone around him but somehow, I was intrigued. Like he knew something no one did.