Chapter 16

Kara's POV:

"No fucking way," Hannah gasped in disbelief, "he did not say that."

"Yes he did," I said, catching Hannah up on all the highlights of the trip.

"You're done for chica. I heard that whenever Mr De Luca has his eye on something, he never backs down till he gets it."

"I can't think about this right now, I've got to get Brooke up," I said, walking away from the living room.

After the Singapore trip, I was given two days off by human resources to catch up on rest and revamp my system. Over the two days, I haven't heard anything from Alessandro. It seemed as though he went awol on me.

"Brooke, little one, you have to get up now," I nudged Brooke awake, tearing her comforter from her body, letting the cold morning air seep into her skin.

"No...no," She murmured, curling into a little ball, squishing her face back into her pillow.

"Come on lazybum," I urged, tickling the soles of her feet.

She shrieked, scurrying her feet away from my hands, shuffling away from me. However, she still wouldn't wake up. Good cop didn't work, so bad cop it is. I walked into the bathroom adjacent to her room and filled it with freezing cold water. Brooke was still there on her bed, sprawled out like a starfish.

I crept closer to her bed, not making a sound. Once I was right over her sleeping form, I sprinkled some water on her face as a little warning.

"Stop mummy," she said sleepily.

"Last chance little one," I warned.

She hummed, refusing to get up. Okay then, 1, 2, 3.

"AHHHH," she screamed as I poured the whole cup onto her.

I laughed heartily as my little daughter glared at me, reluctantly moving to the bathroom to get changed out of her wet clothes. Satisfied with my handy work, I went back to the kitchen.

"Oh Kara, your parents called and said they can't look after Brooke today," Hannah said as she flipped some omelettes on the stove.

"Crikey!" I cursed, "what about you?"

"Sorry, I'm heading to work in 5 minutes."

"Hopefully Alessandro won't mind if I take her to work with me," I whispered to myself.

I slipped out my phone from my pocket and sent a text to Alessandro. Better safe than sorry.

Kara: Hi. Is it alright if Brooke comes to the office with me today? I can't find anyone to babysit her.

To my surprise, he replied instantly .

Alessandro: No worries. See you later tesoro.

Phew.

After Brooke and I got dressed and had breakfast, we headed out the door and into our designated vehicle. The drive there was faster than usual with little to no traffic on the freeway. Today's going to be a good day. I can feel it in my gut.

Once we reached the office, I held Brooke's hand in mine as we headed to Alessandro's private elevator. Every employee must have gotten the message by now since no one refrained me from using it ever since that faithful day. The only downside to this ordeal was the staring. Once we entered the building, all eyes were on us; some gawking at us, some taking quick and subtle glances and others, just plain old staring. What's going on?

As we reached Alessandro's floor, we headed straight to my office, greeting Russo on the way. I swiped my key card as the door clicked open. I pushed the door open, ushering Brooke in.