Chapter 4

I'm following them to the rave at pandemonium. I'm currently wearing a hot pink, skin tight dress, instead of my usual cloak because I wouldn't blend in there. I have my bow and arrows folded up, in the small of my back. Right now I'm on top of the roof of a building trailing them.

"Alec and Izzy are securing the perimeter." Jace says.

"Are you sure this is a good idea? Last time we were here, this place was crawling with vampires." Clary asks.

"Relax, all Downworlders hang out here. We just came on vampire night." Jace says trying to calm her down.

"Right. And when is all this gonna sound normal to me?"

"I don't know."

Alec and Izzy come up to them.

"All clear." Alec says.

"Do you think red's my color?" Izzy asks Clary.

"Iz, with a body like yours, everything's your color." Clary says.

"Good point. Damn, I make this necklace look so good." Izzy says filled with confidence.

"Will you take it off? I'm certain Magnus Bane doesn't want drool on his ruby when we make the exchange." Alec scolds.

"You know, I wouldn't be so sure. Most men like it when I admire their jewels."

"Can you just give it to Jace?" Alec asks.

"You are such a buzzkill." Izzy says while taking off the necklace and giving it to Jace.

They head into the party and I wait a minute then go up to the bouncer, which is a vampire and he immediately recognizes me and lets me in.

"Blend in. But keep your weapons ready." Jace says.

"Magnus!" Jace yells to Magnus.

"Clary Fairchild. You've grown into a beautiful young woman." Magnus says. I slowly start heading closer to them to hear their conversation. Magnus sees me and sends me a smile. The others haven't noticed me yet.

"Magnus Bane. So you're the one who stole my memories." Clary says.

"At your mother's request. She knew the risk. Show me the jewelry, Shadowhunter." Magnus replies.

Jace shows him the necklace and Magnus tries to take it but Jace pulls it back.

"Give Clary back her memories, and you get the jewelry." Jace demands.

"I have to confirm its authenticity." Magnus persuades.

Jace gives him the necklace and Magnus examines it.

"Amor verus numquam moritur." "True love cannot die." Oh, how I've missed this jewel." He says.

"Now, it's your turn to pay up." Clary demands.

"I wish I could retrieve your memories, but I no longer have them." Magnus tells them.

"What? Where are they?" Clary asks confused.

"I fed them to a memory demon for safekeeping." He admits.

"And why the hell would you do that?" Jace madly asks.

"To protect Clary and the Cup. If Valentine ever captured me, he could torture Clary's memories out of me. Just like he tortured Dot." He explains.

"Tortured? Wait, is Dot okay?" Clary asks concerned.

"You don't know? Dot is dead." He admits.

"What? How do you know?" Clary asks.

"I can't feel her magic anymore. Valentine killed her because she would not betray your mother."