Chapter 11

Alec POV
Me and Izzy are preparing for our trial.

"All I know is, we gotta get out of here. All right, who do we know in Idris?" I ask her.

"The only people who care are Mom and Dad. But they're under suspicion themselves." She replies.

"What about Lydia?" I ask.

"Lydia?" She asks.

"Yeah." I say.

"Why do you keep going there? She is prosecuting us. You said she had no choice." She says.

"She doesn't." I say.

"Everyone has a choice, Alec. We made ours. Let me just get through this without losing my self-respect." She says.

"Look, I know you don't wanna believe this, but Lydia said she would help if we can give her a way to do it. Maybe I can get her to delay the trial." I say,

"Why? So we can sit here, playing computer solitaire, while they find something else to blame us for? We're just a scapegoat to the Clave. They want the Cup." She says.

"So let me buy some time to find it. Hey, Jace and Clary–" I start.

"Disappeared through a door to God knows where. You said they're lost forever. And so is the Cup." She says,

"What if I was wrong? I can't find Jace because I weakened our bond, but that doesn't mean he can't be found, or that he can't find us. We need more time." I say.

"You're grasping at straws now?" She asks.

"Izzy, listen. I'm your big brother. Please, let me help you for once." I plead.
——————————————————————————————————
Normal POV

Clary and Simon are waiting for me and Raphael.

"Why can't we just take what we need and leave?" Clary asks.

"If we were transfusing goat blood, no problem. But human blood, that's against the Accords." Simon says.

We appear behind Simon.

"I'm surprised you know that much." Raphael says.

"Why do you guys keep doing that to me?" Simon asks.

"Because It's funny." I say,

"If you worked on controlling your enhanced senses, as you should, you wouldn't be surprised. Clary, you really have to stop barging in here." He says.

"Sorry, guys. We need blood." She says,

"So we heard. Human blood. Funny how those rules for Downworlders stop being such a big deal when you need our help. No can do." He says,

Raphael sits down, but Simon pulls him back up.

"Okay, listen. Come on. Last night, I bumped into Bernice." Simon says.

"She overheard a couple of bridge and tunnel vamps gossiping about Camille." Simon says.

"You said Camille is gone, right?" I ask.

"Yeah. Yeah, yeah. They didn't care about that. They said she kept around a couple of humans. Apparently, she'd feed on them, but never went all the way. What are they called? Sub... submissives?" Simon says.

"Keep your voice down. They're called subjugates. Horrible things. Even Camille got sick of them." Raphael says.

"Okay, so, they're gone. But keeping around human beings just to drain at cocktail hour, that's against the Accords. Camille had a taste for the real stuff. I know from experience. She had to have something on ice." Simon says.