Chapter 18

AN: Big twist coming!

I go to the roof of the institute and find Alec shooting arrows into fireworks.

"Alec." I say. He turns to me, his bow still ready.

"Move." He says.

"How long have you been up here?" I ask.

"I'm glamoured. No one can see me. Move." He insists.

"You can't beat yourself up about it." I say.

"I'm not." He replies.

"What happened with Jocelyn, that wasn't you. That was the demon. It wasn't your fault." I say.

"Get out of the way." He says.

"Come on. Come back inside." I say.

"That's the last place I wanna be." He says.

"Nobody blames you. It was an accident. They're your family, they could never hate or blame you." I say.

"They should." He says then jumps off the roof. I run to the edge and he lands on his feet and runs off.
————————————————————————————————————
I go to Magnus' house with Clary and Simon.

"Absolutely not." Magnus says.

"Is it possible? Magnus, tell me, can it be done? Yes or no?" She asks.

"Sure, there are warlocks who've done this sort of thing. But what you're talking about is dark, dark magic. It's wildly unpredictable." He says.

"Have you ever done it before?" Simon asks.

"No. And don't encourage this. Biscuit, I'm sorry. I know how important she was to you." He says. Magnus strokes her arm.

"She was my mom. If you were me, if we were talking about your mom–" She says. Oh no, don't mention his parents.

"I wouldn't bring her back." Magnus says.

"I don't understand." She says.

"I was nine years old when my mother realized what my cat eyes meant. She couldn't live with the fact that she bore the son of a demon. So she took her life. With this very keris." He says.

Simon recognizes the keris from when they found it at Camille's.

"I'm so sorry. I didn't know." She apologizes.

"It was a long time ago. And over time it... it got easier. Never easy, but easier. Your mother was a special woman. She only wanted to protect you at all costs. So much so that she had me remove your memories. Since we can't get those back... Take one of mine." He says giving her a picture.

"Oh, my God. When was this?" She asks.

"The day I met you. The first thing I notice is that you both share the same laugh. Losing your mom... it's not something you make better with magic. You just head straight into it and cry your eyes out." He says.