Chapter 27

We're in the institute and Alec is briefing everyone on the issue.

"We have lost seven of our own, but we can't allow a single radical Seelie to define the entire Downworld, any more than we can allow Valentine to define all Shadowhunters. So, to restore unity with our allies, I will be hosting regular cabinet meetings here with the Downworld leaders of New York. These meetings will promote..." Alec says.

"I'm all for unity, but does he have to bring them here?" Lindsay asks.

"What do you expect? He's dating a vampire." Duncan says.

"Still can't believe Alec Lightwood is in charge." She says.

"Just wait. In a week, it'll be someone else." He says.

"Hey. Show some respect." Izzy says.

"Security will be tighter, both here and in the sub-cells. Please, let's make the Downworlders feel welcome." Alec says.

Alec nods and walks down the platform. The crowd dissolves and Alec approaches me, Jace, and Clary.

"Look at you. In charge for a week, you're already shaking things up. I think this cabinet thing's a good idea." Jace says,

"Yeah, I'm not sure everyone agrees." He replies.

"All the more reason to do it. How can I help?" Clary asks.

"Actually, I need you and Jace for a mission. Going to the Seelie Court." Alec says.

"Where is that?" She asks.

"The nearest entrance is in Central Park. But it's in another realm. Where the Seelie Queen lives." Izzy says.

"I requested an audience with her to discuss Kaelie's crimes. However, she said she'll only meet with "Valentine's experiments"." Alec tells them.

"Wow. Charming nickname. So you think the Seelie Queen is responsible for Kaelie's attacks?" Clary asks.

"That's what I want you to find out." Alec says.

"That would make sense. Those murders weren't exactly Kaelie's style." Jace says.

"How did you know Kaelie?" Clary asks.

"Book club." He replies.

"Yeah right." I say.

"What... you read?" She asks.

"Yeah. Why does everyone find that so hard to believe?" He says.

"Because you're lying." I say.

"Look, focus. We need to find out if she's complicit. An entire faction could be turning against us." Alec says.

"That shouldn't be too hard, right? Seelies can't lie." Clary says.

"Technically, yes. But after hundreds of years of practice, they can expertly manipulate the truth, and the queen's the master." Jace says.

"Yeah, we've met a few times. She has an interesting personality." I say.

"She's very dangerous. The entire realm is. More than one Shadowhunter hasn't made it back." Izzy says.