Chapter 41

Magnus is making a pentagram on the floor with ashes.

"It's been hundreds of years since you banished your father. What makes you think he'll even listen to your request?" I ask.

"Let's just say he owes me one." Magnus says.

"For what happened with your mother?" I ask.

"That and for everything in the years that followed. I was living on the streets. I didn't know who or what I was. Asmodeus took me in. Nurtured my darker impulses. And taught me the "proper" way to be a warlock." He replies.

"And why'd you listen to him?" Alec asks.

"Because he was the only one in the world with eyes like me. He was my father." He says.

"Look, at least give me the time to call in back-up from the Institute. We don't even have Lilith under control. Another Greater Demon gets loose, it could put the whole city at risk." Alec says.

"Fortunately for the good people of New York, my father won't be traveling top-side." Magnus says.

Magnus gets up. The pentagram is finished.

"What aren't you telling us?" I ask.

"This pentagram isn't for summoning Asmodeus to Earth. It's for sending someone to Edom. In this case, me." He explains.

"Absolutely not." I say.

"We need my father's help. And the cell service down there is terrible." He says.

"This isn't funny!" I say.

"Would you prefer I act as terrified as I feel right now?" He asks.

"This is insane." Alec says.

"Tell me Jace isn't worth it. Let's get this over with." Magnus says.

Magnus snaps his fingers and uses his magic to activate the pentagram. A circle of fire appears. Magnus is about to step into the pentagram when I grab his arm and turn Magnus to me.

"You're gonna make it back. You hear me?" I say.

"Why wouldn't I? Look what I have waiting for me." Magnus says and steps in.

Magnus grunts and screams as the fire eats him. Then he disappears into the flames.
————————————————————————————————————————-
Magnus still isn't back and we gotta go save Jace and Clary from Lilith. We get to the apartment building and me and Simon investigate. I have Camille on my back in the carrier.

"They've been in the building forever. What's taking so long?" Alec asks.

"Alec, it's a high rise." Izzy says.

We speed back to Alec, Luke, and Izzy.

"Sorry. We tried to get as close as we could without anyone noticing, but our vamp ears couldn't hear Clary inside anywhere." I say.

"Lilith must be concealing her location with some kind of glamour." Alec says.

"Let's find out." Izzy says and activates a rune on her hand.