Chapter 43

I go into our bedroom and open the curtains, waking up Alec.

"Come on, peanut. Time to rise and face the day." I say.

"Peanut"?" He asks.

"Pepperoni?" I ask.

"No." He replies.

"Okay." I say.

"Why is it so early?" He asks.

"I stay awake most nights." I say and put down a platter with food on the empty side of the bed.

"Why are you dressed?" He asks and sits up and takes a piece of food.

"Oh, I had to get up to go to the farmer's market before dawn to get ingredients for our breakfasast, which... admittedly, is less than perfect. Do you know how many oranges are required to make a glass of juice? More than I bought. I have to admit there is a certain charm to doing things the mundane way." I say.

"Is today a special occasion?" He asks.

"It's your day off and I want to make the most of it." I say.

"That's actually really sweet." He replies.

"Hmm. I thought so. Drink up. It's time for our morning exercise." I say, kissing him.
——————————————————————————————————————————
Me and Alec are in the institute training center. Camille is off playing with the other Shadowhunter children.

Alec throws me a stick and says "Look alive."

"Oh! So authoritative. I like seeing you in your Shadowhunter mode." I say. Then he hits my stick with his.

"Don't hit me with your stick unless it's your..." I say.

"Don't flirt with me. Lower your center." He interrupts. We get in a fighting stance and start training.

"A little less rusty than I thought. Oh, tell me you're not just a little impressed." I say. Alec takes ahold of my stick and swoops his weapon under me, who jumps to dodge it. We fight some more before Alec throws the weapons on the ground.

"Those would have been your last words." He says.

"Not necessarily. Oh... I forgot to tell you, I trained with Grand Master Mitsuyo Maeda." I say holding Alec on the ground.

"Is that where you got your black belt in name dropping?" He asks.

"When you've lived as long as me, you meet a lot of people." I say and twist it, so I'm leaning on Alec's back, holding his face to the ground.

"You deserved it. I didn't know this was supposed to be a competition." He says rolling us over.

"Oh, am l supposed to just let you win?" I ask. We roll over again and get to our feet. We start circling around each other.

"We're supposed to be working." Alec says.

"Oh, you're so cute when you're serious." I say.