Chapter 23

I'm at Magnus' apartment and the group has brought Dot to Magnus. She is laying on the couch, Magnus just gave her some medicine.

"There you go. You'll start feeling better in no time." He tells her.

"Thank you." She says.

"Dot, tell us everything you know." Clary says.

"I heard Valentine briefing his men. If Jace touches the Sword, his grip would destroy it." She says.

"Me?" Have asks.

"Why should we believe a word she says? It's probably just another trap." Luke says.

"Luke, Clary, you know me." She says.

"You've lied to me before." Clary says.

"Because of the injections. But now that he has the warlock girl, he's cast me aside. I'm myself again." Dot claims.

"Good story, but I've heard better." I say.

"Wait. In the vision from Ithuriel, the demon that destroyed the Sword had a clawed hand." Mace says.

"Exactly. It has nothing to do with you." Clary says.

"Perhaps I can lend some insight. Show me this vision." Magnus says.

Magnus holds one hand against Clary's head, the other one against Jace's. They all close their eyes. Magnus starts speaking Latin.

"The star in the sky." Magnus says.

"Yeah, I remember." Clary says.

"Angels are higher beings. They communicate through metaphors. Morgenstern means "Morning Star", as in, "How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning". The vision seems to be speaking of a... demonic Morgenstern." He says. Magnus looks at Jace.

"Me. That's why Valentine wanted me under his control. I can derail his plan. I can destroy the Soul-Sword." Jace says.

"And destroy yourself in the process." Magnus says.

"No. That's a suicide mission. No way." Clary says.

"Oh, says the girl who was willing to die for the Downworld, what, yesterday?" Jace says.

"She's right, Jace. It's too dangerous." Luke says.

"Look, I'm not gonna touch the Sword. I'll just get to it before it's activated, and bring the Mortal Instrument back to the Clave, where it belongs. Trust me." Jace says.
———————————————————————————————————————
Me, Clary, and Magnus go through a portal and am in a park close to the institute.

"Well, here we are." Magnus says.

"Magnus, I want you to know I'm not going anywhere near that Sword." Clary says.

"Valentine probably has some scheme, or other plan to get you to touch it." I say.

"I don't care what happens to me, Clary." Magnus says.