Chapter 16

AN: These last few chapters have been shorter because on the show everybody is doing different things so Desiree can't be with everyone.

Me and Magnus get to the institute and head to Alecs room where he's lying on the bed, unconscious. I go over to him and hold his hand.

"Jace, I..." He says.

"I knew we shouldn't have let him do this." I say.

Magnus tries to use his magic to bring Alec back.

"It's not working." Izzy says.

"I'm sorry. Parabatai bonds are like a tether that binds two souls. Jace and Alec share emotions, instincts, strength. It's an angelic bond. My magic can only do so much." He says.

"So Jace is like this, too?" She asks.

"Not necessarily. It appears that when Alec called out to him, part of his soul never returned. Now he's stuck, lost somewhere between himself and his parabatai." He says. Magnus activates his magic again.

"But if Jace brought back that missing piece of his soul..." I say.

"We may very well have the cure. Whatever we do, we need to do it quickly." He says.

"Stay with Alec. I'll go find Jace." Izzy says.

Jocelyn knocks on Alec's bedroom door.

"Isabelle? Clary's back." She says when Magnus opens the door. Then she sees me and Magnus.

"Oh, great. Clary's safe. We can all go home now." Magnus says about to close the door.

"Whoa. Wait, Magnus, Desiree. How's Alec? Is he gonna be okay?" She asks.

"Does he okay?" I ask her.

"Do you remember the first thing I said to you when you brought a frightened six-year-old girl to my door?" He asks.

"You didn't wanna get involved in Shadowhunter business." She says.

"And I should've stuck to my guns. But no, I let you convince me. How many years of memory wipes was it?" He asks.

"Yeah me too. How are they so persuasive?" I ask.

"Twelve. Look, I owe you. Let me help with Alec." She says.

"There's nothing you can do." I say.

"And I think you've done enough." Magnus says.

"I was only trying to find–" She defends.

"You were only trying to do what you always do. Manipulate people into helping fix problems that you created." Magnus starts.

"And now Alec is paying the price for it." I finish.

"That's not true." She argues.

"Looks like It's true to me." I say.

"Then prove me wrong." Magnus says.

Magnus walks away and closes the door with a snap of his magic.
——————————————————————————————————-
"Magnus, do you think he'll be okay?" I ask.