Sidetracked

I stopped short as I heard a ship rush past over head. "Wait here." I started to the nearest tree and scaled it quickly, pushing my head up out of the canopy.

I watched a familiar ship land in a nearby clearing - smugglers. I dropped to the ground and started towards the ship.

Hawk grabbed my arm. "Where are you going?"

I looked at him seriously. "There's something I need to take care of. Where is your beacon headed?"

Hawk pointed to a low hill that just crested the trees.

I nodded. "Keep following the beacon. I'll meet you on the hill."

He hesitated before disappearing into the trees.

I turned and walked into the trees.
————
I peeked through the brush and saw a group of ratty dressed men and women standing around while a short alien with a pair of big goggles and a leather jacket banged on the engine.

I smirked. This would be a piece of cake.
Standing, I left my staff in the bushes and walked out into the clearing. "Karon, I thought I told you never to come back."

A man with sharp grey eyes and shoulder-length black hair turned to face me, smirking. "Ahh... if it isn't our little trouble maker." His voice was gruff as if he were choking on sand. "It's good to see you again."

I grabbed his scarf and yanked him down to my level. "I can't say the same. What are you doing here?"

He broke free of my grip and smoothed his shirt. "We are making repairs on our ship."

"And you couldn't have done that on the next planet over."

"Well, you see, not all planets are, shall we say, welcoming to people like us."

I rolled my eyes. "And I'm one of them, as you well remember."

He chuckled. "Come on. We go way back, just... let us finish our repairs."

I sighed. "Fine, but, if I spot any of you away for your ship, your all goners. Understood?"

Karon glared at his crew until they nodded. "Of course. You'll get no trouble from us."

"See that I don't." I turned on my heels and walked away, knowing that this wouldn't be the last time I saw them today.
————
I was halfway up the hill when a noticed a tree shaking. I watched as it quivered harder and harder, finally toppling over. I groaned. This had to be some kind of record. Turning around, I rushed down the hill.

Without a second thought, a broke out of the trees to where a woman with long blue hair tied back in a ponytail and wearing thick goggles stood over a fallen tree holding a large saw on her shoulder. She jumped when she saw me.

"Someone's antsy today." Tossing my staff aside, I drew the two short sword sheathed in a crisscross on the back of my belt.

The woman dropped the saw from her shoulder and held it out threateningly.

I sighed. "You smugglers never learn."
I lunged at her and quickly knocked the clumsy saw from her grasp.

She drew a sword of her own, glaring at me.

I smirked.

She thrust the blade towards me, but I easily dodged, parrying her attacks with little effort.
I toyed with her for a while before ducking a blow, diving behind her, and slashing her across the back of the legs.

She collapsed with a scream.

Soon, there were four more smugglers, all carrying saws. I stood in the center of their threatening circle, daring one of them to attack.

In moments, there were two more smugglers down, clutching bloody wounds.

Karon finally appeared and blanched when he realized I was there. He stuttered some sort of explanation, but I held up a hand to silence him.

"Just leave before you lose any men."

He bowed slightly, as if I were some kind of royalty and ordered his men back to the ship.
Soon, I could see the vessel rise above the trees and exit the atmosphere. Finally.

I ran as hard as I could and eventually reached the top of the hill.

Hawk stood, scanning the area, the rain drenching his armor and most likely interfering with his scanner. He didn't notice my approach.

I walked right up behind him. "Any luck?"

He jumped and turned, hand on the blaster strapped to his belt.

I held up my hands protectively. "Woah! It's me!"

He relaxed. "Sorry." He flipped up his scanner. "No, but the beacon is still moving."

"Don't worry. We'll catch up with them." I started down the hill and Hawk followed, giving me directions.