Stake Out

I sat with Master Kenobi behind a pile of crates in the alley of a small city. "Remind me again why we're on a stake out."

He sighed and turned away from the street. "We are trying to catch a bounty hunter."

"I know, but why?" I sat with my back against the crates.

He rolled his eyes, which was an unusual sight.

I surveyed the whole alley then looked back at Master Kenobi as he watched the street. "Can we at least get to know each other?"

He sighed. "Fine, you go first."

I thought for a minute. "How long have you been a Jedi?"

He didn't move his gaze from the street. "My whole life, or at least as long as I can remember." He looked back at me. "Why do you have more than one padawan braid?"

I grinned and twirled one of the several braids scattered through my thick black hair. "I have more than one master."

Master Kenobi gave me a look that said 'why do I even ask anymore.'

I snickered.

He turned back towards the street. Something moved in the shadows of the alley.

I stiffened, peering into the murky darkness. A spark of seemingly irrational fear pulsed through my body. "Look out." I dove in front of Master Kenobi as a blast shot out of the shadows.

It hit me square in the chest and a numbing, tingling pain rushed through me. I fell back into Master Kenobi's arms, barely conscious.
There was a shout, but I couldn't understand.
My heart beat slowed. I felt myself being gently shaken, but soon the darkness pulled me under.
————
My eyes fluttered open. I was lying on a cot in the medical bay of the Jedi Temple. My chest still hurt.

A droid scanned me and turned to someone at the foot of my bed. "She is unharmed."

"Good." Master Windu's voice sounded from outside of my sight line.

I sat up. "Well, that worked." I massaged my chest where the bullet had hit me. I met Master Windu's gaze. "How did he take it?"

The Jedi sighed. "Not exceptionally well."

"Learn the truth soon, he will." Master Yoda appeared in the doorway to my room.

I nodded. "I just hate putting him through this."

"I'm not sure he's the one you should be worried about." Master Windu raised an eyebrow.

I bit my lip. "How's Jarris?"

Master Windu sighed. "He hasn't left his room. He cares a lot about you."

I sighed. "I know. I just want to get this over with."