Escape

Caleb. The name rushed through my mind as I remembered the young padawan. If Master Billaba was telling him to run, I feared the worst. I had to find him before the clones did. I rushed through the trees in the direction I felt the plea had come from. So many thoughts were racing through my head, too many thoughts.

I ducked behind a tree trunk as a squad of clones marched passed. My heart beat quickened and I struggled to hold my breaths steady. The hair on the back of my arms stood on end as I crept through the forest.

Caleb's fear hit me like a punch to the gut. I was close. I pushed through a stand of thick bushes and found the terrified boy curled in a tight ball under a large bush. He hugged his knees close to his chest and flinched at every snapped twig and rustled branch.

I scanned the area and knelt beside him. "Caleb."

He jolted and looked at me, tears stained his cheeks.

"It's okay." I promised. "Come with me. We need to leave," voices sounded to our right, "now." I offered him my hand.

He took it and I helped him to his feet. "Master Billaba..." he started.

"I know." I interrupted. I wouldn't make him recount the painful story. I surveyed the woods. "Follow me."

We snuck through the brush and foliage towards Plateau City. We would be able to find a ship there.
————
I pushed Caleb behind an ammo crate as a patrol of clones marched around the corner. I held my finger to my lips, urging him to be silent.

The clones passed right next to us. I held my breath for fear that even the slightest noise would reveal us.

When they had rounded the next bend, I grabbed Caleb's hand and dragged him across the street and towards the city's airfield.
————
Lucky for us, the clones hadn't locked down the hangar... yet. I scanned the available ships. There weren't many. Only a few had a hyperdrive and even fewer looked like they could survive a trip through hyperspace. Finally, I spotted a small frater that seemed to be in decent condition. I checked for clones and darted towards the ship. I sat in the pilot's seat. This should be interesting. I had never been a good pilot. Caleb sat next to me, watching for clones.

I flipped several switches and levers. The engine revved. "Here we go." I checked the skies overhead for gunships. There were three. "Hold onto something." I pulled up harshly and gunned the engines.

The gunships turned to fire at us.

"Caleb," I spun aside as one turret fired at us, "activate the shields."

He looked at me like I was crazy. "I don't know where they are."

A blast grazed the left wing, jostling the ship. "Well, you'd better find them, or we won't make it through the atmosphere."

He examined the many controls frantically.

Another blast rocketed towards us on a direct course to collide with the cockpit. "Caleb?!"

"Got it!" He flipped a switch and the blast glanced harmlessly off of our deflector shields.

I twirled up past the gunships and made for open space. I punched random coordinates into the navicomputer.

"Where are we going?" Caleb asked as Republic command ships moved to cut off our escape.

I primed the hyperdrive. "Away." I pulled the lever and our surroundings were lost in the bright blue tunnel of hyperspace.

A/N
I did it! Three chapters in one day!
Wipes sweat from brow. That was a lot.
We only have like 2 chapters left. 😢 This has been quite a ride and I love you all. Thanks for the support.
-Cheshire.