Deception

I blasted the struggling alien with my blaster, stunning it until it lost consciousness. The steel cable wound itself back into the contraption on my arm.

The surrounding crowds stared at me in wonder and fear.

I stepped forward, grabbed my victim by the collar, and dragged him to the edge of the crowd. I peered at the people through the visor of my helmet. When I tilted my head and fingered my blaster, the people separated.
I walked between them, dragging my limp target behind me.
————
I tossed the unconscious alien forward. He landed limply on the floor at the feet of a dark figure.

"Well done." A deep, formal-sounding voice spoke the words from the shadows. "You have proven a valuable asset."

"Does that mean I'm done being your errand girl?" My voice sounded slightly muffled and robotic through me helmet.

My employer chuckled. "So eager." He stepped into the light. He had white hair and a short beard. His brown cape billowed as he walked. His piercing brown eyes seemed to stare right through me. He moved purposefully, circling me like prey. "Why are you in such a hurry?"

I took a deep calming breath. "I'm wasting my skills as a hitman. I could be far more useful to you, Lord Tyranus, if you let me do more."

He paused in his pacing and faced me, hands clasped behind his back. With his waist exposed for the first time, I noticed a curved hilt hanging from his belt.

He leaned forward to be at eye level with me. "You are very ambitious." He examined me carefully.

My heart seemed to stop and I held my breath.

He straightened. "So be it. You want to prove yourself. I have just the opportunity." He walked to the edge of the shadows and faced me. "Do you accept?"

I held myself back. I had to be sure this was right. "What kind of opportunity are we talking about?"

He grinned menacingly. "The kind that will change the course of this war."

"Meaning?" I crossed my arms.

He narrowed his eyes. "You will learn more when you accept."

I inhaled deeply. Here went nothing. "Fine. I accept. Now, what's this plan you seem so excited about."

"You're a curious one." He clasped his hands behind his back again. "Curiosity can get you into trouble."

"Or it can get me information." I held.

He nodded slightly. "Very well. I am recruiting a team of bounty hunters to kidnap the Chancellor."