5

We are sitting around the fire and are talking about whatever topics seem good enough for us to talk about when the topic of the Mistlands comes up.

"What are those?" I ask.

"The shadowy place in here, the only place we haven't explored," says Alexandra.

"Well, maybe we should remedy that," I say. "Who knows what we could find there?"

"I really doubt we'll come across a way out," Annabeth says. "But sure. I'll go along too."

"Me too," says Rhea.

"Count me in," says Alexandra.

"Anybody else?" I ask.

Nothing. So, we head out.

I don't know how long I thought it would take for us to get there, but it takes about ten minutes to walk from our house to the Mistlands.  We just find and follow the mist and darkness.

The four of us brought along flashlights, homemade of course.

I walk into the steep valley below that makes up the Mistlands, and the others follow me close behind. As we walk, the beams of the flashlights fall on various people that are here and there, in various states.

Some have their eyes closed and others have them wide open. Not one of them really even acknowledges us. But as we go deeper, Annabeth begins to talk.

"How many people did he eat?"

"I don't know," I say.

"I never sensed these people before," says Rhea.

"Yeah, me either," says Alexandra.

The feeling of being watched permeates the air, and I feel tense and scared, like I was when David morphed in front of me. But I don't know if anyone else feels this way, so I don't say anything.  I don't want to.

As we walk, I see more people here and there, but then we come across a cluster of women who are hanging from various body parts from the trees.

"Oh my God," Annabeth whispers.

Suddenly, the feeling of being watched intensifies tenfold. We stop walking around and look up as a huge, thick, black snake thing comes up to us, emerging from the trees and hissing at us.

Thousands upon thousands of tiny black snakes follow the creature as it comes to us, and stops right in front of Annabeth.

"Your God cannot save you now," he hisses.

And then he tears her to shreds.