30 (last chapter)

The sound of whispers fills the still air inside the maze. And I'm not the only one who heard it, as Azriephel is looking around for the noise too.

"This is really weird," I say. "What does this mean? The whispers and everything?"

"It could mean that we're at the end of the maze."

The sound of whispers increases, and then I hear someone crying, followed by some maniacal laughter. I look around as suddenly, a group of men appears in the middle of the maze, and they are all grinning at me.

"Hello, Eliza, Azriephel," says the man in front. He has long black hair and black eyes, and he looks like he's the one who's in charge.

"One more to go, am I right?" he asks.

"Who are you?"

"Ah, I'm hurt," he says. "The name is Roderick. And I am here to help you out with this Wild Hunt stuff."

"You're going to help us?" I ask, not believing him.

"Yes. You see, the only thing you have to do is come with me. And I will help you find your friend or friends."

"Okay," I say. "Show us the way."

As we walk towards the end of the maze, I sense something off about Roderick. He's ... he's lying. I slam him against the wall and Azriephel jumps in shock, looking at me like he's never seen me before.

"What are you doing? You're not helping us. I can sense you lying."

He hisses. "Release me at once."

"Tell me what you're doing!"

"Fine. I am going to show you the true side of the Wild Hunt. The kind where you get sacrificed to the Ancients. The kind where your death is slow and painful."

"Delightful," I remark.

Suddenly, the sound of a war horn goes off, and men and women appear from the Veil and the shadows around us, closing in on us. They surround each of us, and then I notice they are the people from outside my house.

"Welcome to the Wild Hunt," says the guy.

There's a loud noise that fills the night air. I brace myself and look up, watching as a girl descends from above, and lands in front of us, between Azriephel and me.

"Back. Off," she says.

"Naomi, back off!" shouts the one guy.

"Sorry, but I have some business to attend to with Azriephel and Eliza."

"Naomi ... don't do this," says the man.

"We have to," she says. She looks at me. "Eliza, all will make sense to you now. But what you need to do right now is trust me. And if you can't do that then you trust him. Okay?"

I look at Azriephel, and he nods.

"What do I do to show you that I trust him?"

She smiles a little, and then looks at the people across from us.

"All you have to do is close your eyes, and I will do the rest."

I close my eyes. Then, even though my eyes are closed, I see a bright blinding light. I keep them shut and covered as the light builds and builds and grows. Then, I hear someone scream. Then the light is gone.

"Open your eyes," says Naomi.

I do, and I see ashes on the ground, in place of the people who were just there. And then, I look at Naomi.

"What did you do?"

"I'm a star. I shine, and it can destroy those I want it to."

"Wow. That's handy," I say.

Azriephel smiles at me. "Eliza? Look." He points into the thick of the vines, and I see Vanessa, being sucked downwards further into the vines.

"I got her," Naomi says. She waves her hands, and white light glows bright, wraps around the plants, and separates them.

We pull Vanessa out, and then we are teleported from the maze, brought to a large courtyard, and set down.

Then we are all standing in a brightly lit courtyard at noon, and standing together, I am with Azriephel, Naomi, and Melisande.

"Welcome back," says Melisande. She turns to me and waves her hand. Vanessa, Rhea, and Annabeth appear. I run to their sides and hug them.

"Now, I have one last thing I must do," I say.

"What's that?" Melisande asks.

"This."

I stab her in the throat with my spikes, and she gasps as I morph. Rhea takes on her form as well, and Melisande looks at me, her mouth whispering Why? over and over again. She crumbles to the ground, and then I look at Azriephel.

"Please tell me that set you free."

"She's not dead yet," he says softly.

Melisande vanishes into thin air, gone without a trace. I look at him, and see the pain on his face.

"What did I just do?" I whisper.

Naomi looks at Azriephel, and then she walks over and bows in front of me, then looks into my eyes.

"If you give me your permission, I can try my soul magick on you two. See what could set him free."

"Yes."

"It might hurt ..."

"Good," I say. "I'm sorry, Azriephel. But I promised you that I would help you. And I intend to do that. Even if it hurts."

"But you don't have to. There has to be another way" he says.

"There isn't time," I say.

He sighs. "I'm not going to dissuade you, am I?"

"No," I say. "I'm not sure anything can at this point."

He smiles slightly. "Okay. Then do this."

I nod at Naomi.

"Okay, well, hold her, Azriephel. She's gonna fall down. Pass out, maybe."

I blush as he comes over and grabs my arms. Then I glance at the girls, who are smirking at me but also look worried.

"You're gonna feel a slight tingling sensation," says Naomi.

She presses her hands to my cheeks. And then, I black out.

~ The end ... for now ... ~

Read Jaws of Death next to find out what happens with Eliza and her friends. Thanks loads for reading!