13

~ Rhea's POV ~

I look back as the demons swarm around Eliza. Poor, brave girl. Rescuing us before she jumped into the fray with clusters of demons.

"We're almost there," breathes Vanessa.

Star, who's carrying a sack of some sort of dark colored flesh that contains Annabeth's body, reaches the edge of the stomach before we do. And she just vanishes into thin air, gone.

Moments later, just as we are within ten yards of the portal out of here, Eliza releases a harrowing death cry.

And then ....

We are standing in the middle of a bedroom, with David and Star and Annabeth's cocoon. David stares at each of us in shock and horror, trying to figure out how we escaped.

"You can thank Eliza for this," Vanessa says. She then runs at him, and he shouts for her to stop. But she doesn't. Vanessa brings her hands to his throat and begins to choke him. None of us moves to stop her.

"Look at what you did to us. To all of us! Look at what you did to Rhea."

My heart sinks as he looks at me and smiles.

"What? I made her evolve. Without me, your friends would have never met. Without me, your life wouldn't be complete. I told you all before that no man but me could have you, and I intend to keep it that way."

He begins to morph.

I scramble towards where he is and I bring my bony arm blades down on his face. He screams, and then I slit his throat.

"I'm not half the woman Eliza was, but I can still avenge her and Annabeth and Britt."

He smiles. "Welcome to the family, sister."

Then he is dead.

There is a bright flash of white light and his body is gone. Star goes over to the kitchen and returns with a cleaver. She then cuts into the cocoon around Annabeth, cutting her out of the thing.

Annabeth's eyes open and she takes a huge breath in.

"Am I dead?" she asks.

"No," I say. "You're free."