11

First Annabeth, now Rhea? What is wrong with me?

I walk back to the house alone, and then I find Star sitting at a table, crafting what looks like a makeshift spear out of a thick tree limb. She's already made several, so I simply snag one as I walk by.

I find Alexandra alone talking to another girl I don't know, but one of the ones I was imprisoned with. Star is the only one aside from Britt who I knew their name.

"Alexandra, can we talk for a moment? Alone?"

I have the spear-stick behind my back as I talk. Alexandra nods and we walk over to a corner of the room. She smiles at me, and I feel sick inside, knowing how she absorbed Britt like she was nothing.

"The gig is up," I say.

"Gig? What gig?" she asks.

"I saw what you did to Britt. You ate her, absorbed her, whatever! But I saw it."

"Oh. Hmm. " She begins to pace. "Well, I am sorry, but you just found out the worst possible thing ... so I guess say hi to Britt for me, when you see her."

"You really think I came to you to essentially commit suicide?" I ask.

Then I stab her with the spear-stick. She hisses and her eyes go solid black, and she smiles, black blood pouring from her mouth and the stab wound in her stomach.

"Congratulations, you've just killed Britt. And the countless other people I've absorbed."

My heart sinks.

Something about the way she said that makes me believe it to be true. She smiles again, and I twist the spear in further.

When she screams, it's the voices of hundreds of people. Just like Echo, but I know Alexandra was not Echo. She looks at me, then turns to ash, and the words "Good luck" are whispered in the wind.