7

We return to the house, and Alexandra and Rhea go inside to tell the others what happened with Annabeth.

I simply sit outside, wishing I hadn't asked them to go along with me on this mission. If I hadn't, then maybe Annabeth would still be here.

Rhea comes out after a while, and she gives me a sad, knowing smile. She sits down beside me and pats me on my shoulder.

"Don't worry so much, Eliza. Or at least, don't constantly blame yourself for what has happened."

"She'd be fine right now if not for me."

"You don't know that," she says.

"Don't I? I mean, she was fine before we went to the Mistlands, and now ..."

"Now she is forever trapped inside a snake thing. Yes. I was there."

"You really aren't much better at reassurances," I say.

She frowns. "I'm just trying to help, Eliza. You're the one who's blaming yourself for this."

"I'm going to go back there," I say. She looks at me. "There's this weird feeling I have that is luring me back to the Mistlands. I don't know what exactly it is, but it's intense. I've got to go back there."

"Why?"

"Because. I think there may be a way out. One we hadn't thought of before. Why else is the place there? Why else is it guarded by demons?"

"I don't know," she says, and she looks down at her hands. "Normally, I'd ask to sleep on it. But seeing as how we can't do that, I guess I'll just have to go with you."

"What? No. I can't let you do that," I say.

"Why not? I mean, I'm not asking to go along with you. I'm saying I am in fact going with you."

"I'm not going to dissuade you, am I?"

"Nope."

"Fine. Just ... be careful with what you say. There are ears and eyes all over."

She nods. And then we set out of here, going towards the Mistlands again.