8

I walk beside Rhea as we head into the darkness of the Mistlands. Once we get a little ways inside the darkness, I feel like I'm being watched again. I look over at Rhea as we walk down the slope that leads into the valley.

The sound of whispers fills the air and follows us around as we walk. Rhea turns her head to the sky, and then it starts to rain.

At first, it feels like it's simply gotten hot out. But then, I feel like I'm on fire. Rhea screams. She bolts under a nearby tree, and I join her. She is shaking all over and she looks at me as the rain pours down.

"It's acid rain," she says. "Literal freakin' acid is falling from the sky."

"Delightful," I mutter.

Suddenly, something thick and solid brushes against my  knees. I look down and bite my lip to keep myself from screaming.

The snake thing is back!

"Well, well, well. What do we have here?" he asks, moving into the light.

To my shock, he is still fat and swollen from eating Annabeth. But he doesn't seem to care that I have noticed him flaunting her demise.

"We're just exploring, sir," I say.

He laughs. "Oh really? I happen to know you're trying to escape."

"If we were, we would've run when you came," says Rhea.

"Do you wish to end up like Annabeth?"

"Don't." I grab Rhea's arm and shake my head. "He's just baiting you."

"Don't say her name," Rhea hisses.

The demon laughs. "You are either the dumbest person I have ever met, or the most brave. Hmm. I have little use for either of those options."

He smiles at me. Then he simply turns and slithers off. Rhea looks at me confused, and I share her confusion. She is equally scared of this monster stalking us, but she also wants to find the way out of here.

"Maybe we are close to the exit," I whisper.

"What makes you think that?"

"Because of how he was acting. It seems like we might be close to the exit."

I run ahead of her, and she follows.

Suddenly, I am no longer in the woods with her.

I am standing in the middle of my own bedroom, at my house.