17

Shane dies that night. He was killed in a "freak accident" according to the official cause of death. It was a lot of blood loss. They said it was an animal attack in the park, citing how wolves and bears are more prominent in this area I live in than they have been in a while.

I know the truth.

Shane was killed because he was with me. It's as simple as that. They saw me, saw I had lowered my guard down enough for an opening, and they went in for the kill. They killed him all because I fell for him, all because I drew him out into the open by showing him some affection.

There's a knock on my door.

I open it, and see Annabeth and Rhea standing there.

"What are you guys doing here?" I ask.

"We came to check on you," Rhea says. "Can we come in?"

"Yeah, of course." I open the door wider. "Come on in."

The walk in and sit on the couch. I sit across from them, feeling a bit awkward myself. They don't say anything for a moment, and then Annabeth speaks up.

"This place is nice, Eliza."

"Thanks. It was the best I could do with my ... disabilities."

"Nice artwork, too," says Annabeth, as she points out a small painting of a white tiger I was working on.

"Thanks, you think? I've been working on that a lot lately. But I suppose you're not here to talk about that, you're here to talk shop."

"I guess," says Rhea. "We must wanted to make sure you were okay in the aftermath of what happened with Shane."

"Did my mom call you two?"

"Of course she did," says Annabeth. "We just want you to know that you're okay, you're not there. You're free. You're safe."

"You're wrong," I say softly. "I'm there ... every second of every day. And I am still terrified that I will wake up one day and realize I never escaped from David's stomach. I'm scared that I will never find love again because of what happened to me. But most of all .... I'm scared I don't deserve happiness anymore."

"But you do!" Rhea says. "Eliza, you have done everything you could to save us. You sacrificed yourself for us. You have to know we are grateful every second of every day. But you also need to know that they can't hurt you any more, if you don't let them."

"They just killed my boyfriend. I think they have found a way to hurt me in different ways than before."

"Okay, but does that really necessarily mean that you don't deserve happiness? No. It most certainly does not and you need to stop thinking it does."

"How?" I whisper.

"Embrace yourself. Embrace your new life. Please, Eliza. Don't give up on everything."

"We'll be home if you need us, okay? Call. No matter what time it is, or anything like that." Annabeth presses a small white card with her number on it into my hand. She smiles at me. "I got a new job, so I have to carry those around with me. It's got my cell on it too, okay?"

I nod.

"Get some sleep," Rhea says.

Then, they leave.