27

I go to where Azriephel told me to go to.

And as I arrive at the bar, and I slip into the private sector of the place, where the demons lurk, I walk over to where Melisande sits. She sits on a leather chair, and her black eyes watch my every move.

"So, you heard about the Wild Hunt," she says. She wears a plain, red dress that shows off her slight curves and her sculpted ass and breasts. Her long, golden hair is flowing out around her like a gold waterfall, and she seems to know the sway she has over everyone around her.

It's sickening.

"Yes, I heard about the Wild Hunt. Although I must say, I'm used to getting written invitations, not so much the same when I'm presented with cultists in my front yard."

"Cultists? Ha. You're quaint, Eliza." She leans towards me and peaks her fingers. "You know, you can still opt out."

"Not a chance," I say. "I'm a demon now, so I may as well learn how to live like one."

She smiles. "Good. Well, you should know that all you have to do is fine all three of your friends in a maze. But the maze itself is enchanted, and it has witchbane flowers which deflect magick." She sighs and shrugs. "But I suppose you don't know how to use magick, so what do I have to worry about?"

If only she knew.

"Well, where's this maze?"

She gets a mischievous look. "Azriephel, why don't you take her to the maze? It's only fitting that you help her in this Wild Hunt, I mean, after all, you're going to be friends, I can tell. Fast friends, fast friends."

We head into another backroom, and Azriephel begins to explain as much as he can about the Wild Hunt.

"It is an ancient custom, a lot like Halloween or Christmas. And people from all over celebrate it. And now, it seems like people who otherwise never would have embraced it have done so in stride." He looks at me and opens the door in front of us, holding it for me.

"Thank you," I say, stepping through.  He nods and follows me into the back alley, and then we walk to a portal floating in the air, and he holds out his hand.

"Hold on tight, and don't let go," he says.  Then, we take each other's hands and walk through the portal. I do my best to ignore the electric charge between us when I touch his hand. And I do my best to ignore the wild feeling in my gut and the happy feeling in my heart.

How do I know what his connection to me is if I cannot see the fate-strings in the first place? I guess I'm not supposed to know that yet. He could be the one to kill me, the one who succeeded when David and all the others failed to do.

But yet, I still hold his hand. And I still feel like I've given him a kernel of trust. He seems like a genuine person, and I really appreciate him. I just hope he's not deceiving me. I just hope he doesn't end up to want to eat me.

"Okay, well, we're here," he says, letting go of my hand. I feel the ghost of the heat from his hand against mine. And I just look at him one last time before turning to look at the maze ahead.

Thick fog rests over the maze, and tall branches and vines stick up from the walls of the maze, the walls being plants, not metal or stone. The air is chilly, and I feel like I'd be shivering if I wasn't all demonic and such.

"Thank you so much for helping me. But how did you get Melisande to let you go along with me?"

He shrugs. "I have my ways."

"Yes, you do," I say. "Well. However you did it, thanks. It means a lot to have someone who can do this with me. I don't know if I'd have the courage to do this without you."

He smiles. "Thank you for that, Eliza."

We start into the maze, and I look all over for any sign of Annabeth, Rhea, or Vanessa.

I have to find them. Three friends, and then I can forget all about the Wild Hunt, and then I can just ....