12

Now, all that's left of us is me, Star, and four other girls. The girls are Kellie, Macey, Lucy, and Vanessa. I explain every single thing that has happened until now to the girls. Macey and Lucy don't believe the truth, but Kellie, Star,  and Vanessa do.

So we split up. Macey and Lucy remain in the building we now call home while the rest of us head into the Mistlands once again.

The second we get into the Mistlands, the hideous snake creature slithers up to us. It smiles at me and coils around my legs.

"Hello, demonologist girl," he says, his voice a pur. "What brings you to my domain today? Do you wish to join us?"

That last word throws me off. Us? I look at him and he smiles wider, like I've fallen into his trap.

"Yes, us."

Suddenly, a twisted creature slithers into the light from the flashlights, and I gasp and nearly fall over.

It's Rhea, but she's not exactly human.

She has no legs, just a long and skeletal tail, like a mermaid but with no scales, muscles, and tissue. Just bone. And her arms have jagged fins of bone on them and her teeth are razor-sharp points.

"Help me ..." she says.

"Oh my ... " whispers Star.

"God? Haha ... not quite."

The snake thing surges toward Star, but I jump in between them. It screams in frustration.

"Back off, girl! My quarrel with her!"

I take the snake's neck in my hands.

"This is for Annabeth and Rhea."

I then cut down the monster's throat, cutting it in half and revealing Annabeth's body, trapped inside a thick cocoon of gross shit. The snake is dead.

I turn to the other girls. "Take Rhea and Annabeth out of here. When you find the trees with women hanging in them, you're almost free. Just keep running and don't stop. Go. No time to argue, just go, now. Run!"

Star throws Annabeth's cocoon over her shoulders and runs. Vanessa and Kellie pick up Rhea and drag her off into the darkness.

Leaving me alone with Echo, and all the other demons.

Leaving me trapped in the belly of the beast.