9

"How ... ?"

"Eliza?"

I turn and my heart stops. David stands there, looking at me with sadness and fear in his eyes. He slowly holds his hand out and I step back, heart in my throat and pounding like a lunatic.

"Eliza, I won't hurt you, I promise," he says.

"Yeah, I have heard that one before," I say.

"Please just listen to me," he says. "I'm sorry, okay? But I need to talk to you."

"About what? You fucking ate me and several other people! You're a demon, a cannibal, a freak!"

"I know. But please, this is bigger than this. This is bigger and more messed up than you could ever believe. There are forces at work here that we can't just ignore and they'll go away. They're evil sons-of-bitches that need to be stopped. And you've met one of them."

"I've what now? Who was the one I met? The snake?"

"Look, there's a lot at play here. And I can't tell you it all right now, but ... there's a lot going on. A lot that can't be explained and a lot that won't change."

"What are you on about? Just tell me."

"You have met that creature I was talking about. You wish to know who that is, so come." He holds out his hand again.

How many times would I have taken that hand without hesitation? How many times would I have just accepted him and gone along with it? But now, do I have much of a choice? I mean, on one hand, he might flip if I don't do what he says. But what is the worst he can do, eat me again or something?

"Come on, Eliza," he says softly. "Please. One last time. I'm not going to hurt you."

Sighing, I take his hand.

We appear inside his stomach, which makes no sense because he's there. He's still holding my hand. I see Alexandra talking to one of the other girls.

"What is going on?" I whisper.

"They can't hear us, we aren't really here, we are still in the bedroom," he says. "But Alexandra is getting ready to prove me right."

I very faintly hear them talking.

". . . I'm sorry, Britt. But I have no choice in the matter."

"Please, no, not now. Not after all I've been through, all I  -"

She is cut off. Because then, Alexandra wraps her arms around Britt and holds her, squirming and screaming. Then, Alexandra glows brighter than the sun and then, Britt is gone.

"She absorbed her," says David.

I look at him.

"And now, she's going to go for either you or your friend Rhea. And I want you to know, that even though I let you out prematurely, I will not be doing this again."

"Let me guess. In I go again?"

He sighs and nods and we are back in the bedroom.

"Why? Why am I going though this?"

"Because. The fates have decreed it to be so," he says. "And now, you're mine. Again."