16

~ Part 2 ~

~ Eliza's POV ~

It's been too long since the last time I did something other than staying in my home and trying to figure out how to carve out a life, that I really almost forgot about my date.

The two of us meet up in a park, and we sit down on the grass and picnic together. As time goes by, I become more and more invested in this relationship blooming between us.

"I am really glad you talked me into this, Shane. I've had a lot of fun," I say.

"Well, thanks, I suppose. I too have had a lot of fun tonight."

I smile at him.

"May I ask you something?" he asks.

"Sure."

"Who hurt you?"

"Hmm? I'm not sure I understand."

"Who broke your heart like this?" he asks.

"His name was David. He ruined me."

"I'm so sorry," he says. "I know it's hard for everyone the first or second time that something like that happens. But I know it does get better, you do get stronger."

"I hope so."

He takes my hand in his and I look up at him.

"Just ... don't hurt me, okay?"

"I wouldn't dream of it," he says. He kisses me softly on the lips. I close my eyes, savoring every moment of our touch.

But then, a sound like hissing comes up behind me. I turn around at the last minute, and then I see a huge creature, one that resembles a small bear standing over top of Shane. He yells and tells me to run, but I can't move.

The monster rakes its claws down the side of Shane's neck and then leaps into the woods beyond the fence. I run after it, but stop when I hear gurgling.

Shane is lying in a pool of his own blood. And he is not moving a muscle.

So, I dial help, and wait for the monster to come back while I stay beside him. A demon came in the middle of the day and attacked him for no reason other than he was sitting beside me. I sit beside him, holding his head in my arms while he dies slowly.

Then, the ambulance arrives and whisks us away.