20

~ unknown POV ~

The Demon Queen is perched in her seat by the catwalk on the top floor of her bar. She closes her eyes and hums softly as her male and female demons and other creatures surround her in their loving embraces.

Across from her sits Azriephel, and he does not seem impressed at all. For that matter, he doesn't even seem to be enjoying himself or his glass of wine. The Demon Queen frowns. Surely, if he wanted something of her, he would simply ask.

"Are you waiting for an invitation, Azriephel?"

"My Queen, I am simply here. Don't bother yourself with me."

"Oh, whatever," she says. "You were never the one to simply sit down and shut up when I met you, you know."

"Melisande. I told you, I am not who I used to be ... I'm someone different now. Someone ... else."

"And I suppose that had nothing to do with Aran's death?"

He shakes his head slightly.

"No. I didn't think so" She looks away from him and takes a sip of her luxurious wine. "Mmm. Remind me later to tell Kraven how much I love his new wine."

"Yes, Your Highness," says one of her servants.

"Oh, but where are my manners?" she says softly. "Azriephel. What do you want to consume, my friend? It's on the house."

"I'm good," he says dismissively.

She frowns. "I'm sorry?"

Realizing she is not taking no for an answer, he turns to look up at the servant standing there in the doorway.

"One bottled human soul, please."

"Yes, sir."

She walks off.

"Good choice," says Melisande, looking around her club. Then, she sees the girl walk in and her eyes widen in shock  .... no. It ... it can't be. 

But it is.

"My lady?" asks Azriephel.

"It's her. One of David's girls."

He turns around, looking at the girl, Eliza, in the crowd. Melisande smiles.

"My boy, things just got a whole lot more interesting," she says. She turns to another servant. "Bring her here."

"What is her name, my Lady?"

"Eliza Warren."