Origin Story

- - Second person POV - -

Anger...

For so long, that was all you could feel.

And why wouldn't it be?

That burning rage became your only anchor to reality, allowing you to push forward. But, over time, it hid away, burrowing into your soul and leaving you numb to your surroundings.

But you still had only one focus...

One motivation...

One reason for living...

To show all those false heroes how wrong they were.

...

- - Y/n's POV - -

I slowly rolled around, the cold air nipping at my body, trying to keep me in bed.

Even though the idea of being awake sounded awful, I always looked forward to every day. Those magical few seconds after I wake up when I don't know where or who I am. All I know is the comfort of the bed beneath me and the warmth of the blankets overtop.

At that moment, I can forget about my life... but in the end, I always remember.

Though, usually after that instinct, I calmly wake up, but not today. No, today hit me with the realization that my alarm didn't go off.

"I swear to god if I overslept... I will hurt someone..."

I quickly reached towards my phone, but just as I did, that annoying morning alarm sounded.

"Oh, fuck you."

My fist quickly slammed against the device until everything became quiet one more. That is until incoherent groans proceeded to fill the room as I emerged from my blanket cocoon.

I groggily shuffled to the bathroom, where I, unfortunately, got a look at myself in the mirror.

"Don't you look like shit?"

My reflection stared back at me with those tired, lifeless eyes I've grown accustomed to. Strands of hair fell in front of them while the rest tangled into a birdnest on my head.

If someone spotted me in the wild, I'm pretty sure I would be mistaken for an animal right out of hibernation. And, I know that isn't the best outlook to have, but at the same time, I didn't give a shit.

So while I continued staring at my emotionless-looking self, the image suddenly distorted into that of a small young girl, one filled with so much happiness and engulfed in the blissful ignorance of childhood.

"Oh, how times change...''

...

- - Flashback - -

Everyone gathered around the kitchen table for breakfast. Usually, my father sat at the head of the table, but after a few minutes of negotiating, I convinced him to give it up. After all, he couldn't say no to his little girl. 

So instead, he sat in my usual spot with my mom across from him. Both of them beaming their morning smiles as they looked to the other end of the table, where my baby brother Hayate giggled in his high chair.

As I cheerfully gazed at my family, my mother pushed a plate towards me. On it sat a single pancake with a decorative blueberry face.

"Here you go, Y/n. Your favourite."

My bright eyes twinkled in the light as I celebrated the food before me.

"Hahaha, yay! Pancakies!" I cheered.