U.A. High

Pancakes sat on the couch, her head tilted in confusion as I paced back and forth in the living room.

"What am I forgetting?..."

Every step echoed through the house, and with each one, the answer felt closer and closer. 

Soon, a soft meow broke through the repetitive pacing as if asking what was wrong. Funny enough, nothing about the call triggered anything, but it just happened to be at that moment I remembered.

"FUCK, THAT'S IT!"

The sudden outburst nearly scared Pancake's half to death, causing her to hide under the throw pillows as I b-lined towards the bedroom. 

"Now, where the hell did I put it?"

My eyes whipped around the room before falling onto my desk, and before I knew it, my arms were buried deep into the drawers, trying to find the elusive item.

"Nope..."

"That's not it..."

...

"Oh..."

...

"Wait."

...

"There you fucking are."

As I dragged my arm out from the unworldly depths of the desk, out with it came one of my most important possessions... 

My lucky keychain. 

I had boughten it years ago from a nearby little gift shop that has since closed down. The moment I laid eyes on it, I knew I had to have it.

As I dangled the chain in front of my face, admiring the silver shine, the window light fell onto it perfectly, creating sparkling light reflections all around me.

If one thing had stayed consistent my whole life, it was this... my belief in lucky items...

And how they didn't exist. 

Even if by some miraculous chance they did, I knew it wouldn't be this thing. There's no way this world would allow a pancake-shaped keychain the ability to alter fate.

But, regardless of the logic and the so-called luck... I did always feel better when I had it with me.

"Hey... No hard feelings about the exam... I was just not about to fill out paperwork to bring your shiny ass with me. That's not a first impression I'd like to have."

"But, you can come now."

I gave the keychain a nod before sliding it into my skirt pocket and flinging my back over my shoulder.

"Let's do this."

...

- - Time Skip - -

"Holy... fuck..."

When I got to the school gates, I found myself stopping and taking in its sight.

Over the border walls and archway, the building stood so high up it might as well have been reaching for the heavens. The skyscraper high school towered over everything around it, forcing me to feel the real difference in our sizes.

Though it didn't last long as I took that first step towards my future...

Towards a new world that I would create...

Towards the new heroes, I would mould...

And to a society that I could finally be proud to live inside.