The Full Truth

In the dark of night, I found myself walking the empty streets alone. My shift had run long, and as I nervously stepped along the dimly lit sidewalk, my fingers nervously dialled my first contact.

The odds of the person picking up seemed slim, but with the voice's threats looming over my head, I knew I had to take the chance. And as my phone lifted to my ear, the sound of ringing took over the silence that previously engulfed the night.

"Come on..."

My fingers impatiently tapped the phone's side as if to make the call speed up.

"Please answer..."

...

After what seemed like ages, the obnoxious dialling stopped before being replaced by a familiar panicked voice.

"Y/n?! I-Is everything alright?! It's so late!"

Hearing his concern brought a faint smile to my face, but as I soon remembered why I called him, it fell away.

"I'm sorry, Zuku. I know it's late, but I just got off work."

"Are you okay?!"

I knew the answer was no, but I couldn't tell him that. So regardless of the overwhelming nervousness, I kept my voice calm and casual.

"I'm fine. I just wanted to know if you're busy tomorrow."

After sensing relief on the other line, a yawn overtook Zuku's voice as he suddenly sank into his sleepy self.

"Oh... Well, there's no school tomorrow... So I'm not busy... Why?..."

I took a deep breath, trying my best to sound not impatient.

"Are you able to come over to my place? I don't work until the afternoon. So you can come by anytime before that."

"Sure... I'll be over in the morning... but... Are you sure everything is okay, though?"

"No... not at all."

"Yeah, everything's fine. I just want to talk with you."

"Okay... I'll be there. Good night, Y/n."

"Thanks, Zuku... Night..."

With a click of the button, the call ended, but my anxiety for some reason remained. I thought the rest of the walk home could clear it up, but just as I had some peace and quiet, it was interrupted.

"How does it feel?... Knowing that you'll be breaking his heart soon?"

My heart began racing from the words of my usual tormenter.

"I don't need you here for this..."

"Do you explain the full story first? Or get the worst parts over with?"

"Will you shut up?!"

"I can't think straight with you around!"

"Quite a tough predicament. Glad it's not my problem. This is all on you."

"I am fully fucking aware of that..."

"Do you reveal your lies first? Or your betrayal?"

An image of a saddened Zuku flashed through my head, filling my body with panic. It was then that I realized what the voice was actually trying to do.

"You son of a bitch..."

"You're trying to prevent me from planning this through!"

"Two difficult choices indeed..."