My Memories

It was as if reels of film, full of scenes from my life, flew around inside my head. Each one attaching to another, their speed increasing until what seemed like a movie played out in my dream-like state.

My childhood memories began resurfacing; the park, the training, studying, scavenging and getting a job.

I could remember all of it.

As the film went on, recent scenes began playing out, filling me in on what seemed to happen these last few weeks.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

A door opened in front of me, exposing the morning sunshine over the large overhanging trees.

The streets were empty as I followed the sidewalk to work, leaving behind the small cottage-like home.

Out of nowhere, a little kid ran into the street, and unbeknownst to him, a car barreled down the hill towards him. The cries of his mother echoed the neighbourhood as I launched myself towards him.

I rolled onto the other side of the street, the child safely in my arms as the car sped past us.

His mother dashed over to us, ripping her child from my arms as if untrusting about my motives. The boy clung onto the woman, crying out in fear over the strange person that grabbed him. 

As he wept into her hair, the mother held a tense glare onto me as they ran back to their home.

I stood on the side of the road, confused as to what had just happened. 

At the least, I had expected a thank you, not a complete disregard for my actions.

I tried brushing the situation away, but that woman's glare became embedded into my mind, and I couldn't understand why she wasn't happy about my heroics. 

It was the first time I had ever saved a person, and no one even cared.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I finally arrived at the gates of the exam building, taking in the scenery.

As I was about to take the first steps towards my new life, someone slammed into my shoulder, not even bothering to acknowledge me after.

I crossed my arms, calling out towards the ash-blonde guy to apologize, but he just looked over his shoulder, tsked, and kept walking.

His figure disappeared into the building, not even allowing me the chance to lecture him.

I had no idea what his problem was. 

I just assumed it was who he was, so I brushed it off.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

Students gathered in the auditorium, waiting to begin the orientation. 

During the announcements, a navy blue-haired boy stood from his seat, a spotlight shining on him from above. He complained about the school's shamefulness without even a second thought of whether his judgment held any merit. 

I didn't waste another moment for the chance to correct his behaviour.

I stood up on my chair, the spotlight shining on me as I gave the boy a mouthful. 

Unfortunately, in the end, my words fell on deaf ears. 

Everyone continued with the orientation with only the crude gossips whispering around me as any sign that I existed to them.