A Shinsou Type Of Day

After the hell-turned-heavenly day had passed, it was back to my regular morning routine. This time though, I had a night's worth of sleep under my belt, and I was ready to conquer the world.

Or at least have a nice walk to school.

But instead of the walk I've grown accustomed to, I stepped out my front door to find a familiar purple-haired boy walking past my house.

"Is... that Shinsou?"

"Hey!" I called out.

However, he didn't seem to hear me.

So like my nosey self loves to do, I jogging up to his side. But even with a timed pace and matching steps beside him, Shinsou still seemed lost in thought.

"What the hell has him so distracted?"

Right as I lifted my hands to shake him out of it, a mischievous plan popped into my head. With a growing smirk, I took my risen hands, cupped them around my mouth, and yelled.

"GOOD MORNING, SHINSOU!"

He suddenly jumped in his spot, shooting up his hands in a defensive manner as a look of scared surprise slapped him across the face. But the moment he saw it was me, he let out a tired exhale.

"Damn it... You almost gave me a heart attack..."

"Well, now that I have your attent-..."

But my words were cut off by Shinsou's yawn. One so powerful it bought a single tear to his eye before quickly being wiped away.

...

"I see you slept well..."

"Well, of course... I got three hours last night. A personal recor-..."

During his sarcastic bragging, another yawn took its hold on him. And with each consecutive one during our walk, I got further and further annoyed.

"This idiot..."

"A good hero isn't worth shit if they don't have enough rest."

"He'd be such a liability on the battlefield."

...

"Maybe I could somehow advise him into more sleep..."

Right as the idea popped into my mind, he preemptively snapped his head towards me.

"Don't even bother lecturing me about sleep. I really couldn't care less about health advice."

"Damn..."

"Touchy subject..."

*Sigh*

"Fine, but can I ask you something else?"

His eyes narrowed in suspicion, unsure about my motives.

"What?"

...

"Are you available to train after school?"

Shinsou then stared off into the distance - hands dug deep into his pockets. The grumpiness radiating around him faded, leaving a sleepy aura marked with sadness to take its place.

"Huh. I thought you forgot about that... You haven't spoken or text since we exchanged numbers..."

"You know... You could have texted me as well. Talking isn't a one-way street..."

He then gave yet another tired sigh, brushing the comment away, and I knew better than to bring it up again. But without a yes or no, I didn't know what his actual answer was.