Chapter 14

Royal Government Palace
December 9, Monday

"Where in the world is she?" Vera hissed as she roamed around every single place in the palace.

They just finished eating breakfast, and Pauline already wandered off somewhere. She was playing with Vera, obviously.

Kanina pa naglilibot si Vera at napapagod na siya. Kailangan niyang pagmasdan ang lahat ng ginagawa ni Pauline. Baka sakaling ito na ang pagkakataon niyang mapaalia ito sa palasyo.

She really wished Pauline just got evicted already. Nagnakaw pa nga siya para rito, pero mukhang walang balak na magreklamo ang apat na prinsesa.

Or maybe they just didn't really notice yet. How should I make them notice?

Malalim na nag-iisip si Vera habang dahan-dahang naglalakad. And then suddenly, she heard a whimper.

She looked at the bottom of her foot right in front of her and saw a little creature she just stepped on.

Yumuko siya at saka kinuha ito mula sa sahig. "What's a runt doing here?" she murmured.

The little puppy was trying to get out of her grasp but she didn't let go.

"There you are!" Napalingon si Vera sa pinanggalingan ng boses, and she saw Nikolai who was jogging towards her.

Nang makalapot ang prinsipe sa kanya ay tinignan niya pa ulit ang aso bago tuminging muli kay Nikolai at saka nagtanong. "He's yours?"

The prince gave a bright smile. "Yeah. He got out of my grasp and ran like hell." Tumango lamang si Vera at saka binigay na sa kanya ang aso.

Aalis na sana siya nang magsalita pa ulit ang prinsipe. "You want me to help clean your shoe? I think this little guy here got it dirty."

Napatingin naman siya sa sapatos niya at nakita ang putik rito. She also checked her dress and arms, but luckily, there was no dirt. Where did that runt even get mud on its feet?

"I'll take care of it, thank you," sabi niya. Pero mabilis ulit siyang pinigilan ng prinsipe.

"I insist. It was my puppy that got it dirty."

Napatingin si Vera sa paligid at nakita ang ilang maid na halatang nakikinig sa usapan. "If you insist."

They went on their way side by side. Vera was also looking around trying to find Pauline.

Nang makarating sila sa isang silid, kumuha si Nikolai ng malinis na basahan at lumuhod para punasan ang sapatos ng prinsesa habang kinakalong ang tuta sa kaliwang braso.

While looking at the puppy, Vera asked, "Why did you bring a puppy here?"

Nikolai stood up and then placed the cloth on a table. "Because I wanted to test the princesses on how they'll react to him. I like pets, so the one I'll choose needs to like them too."

Napatango naman si Vera sa sinabi niya. But then she asked another question. "Why are you here? Hindi ba may date ka?"

"Oh, that...Princess Beatrice is sick today. She had really high fever. That's why she was also not at the dining area this morning, so I'm free today."

Vera's brows furrowed at what he said. "You speak as if you don't like Princess Beatrice," she said.

Agad namang umiling si Nikolai. "That's not what I meant. It's not Princess Beatrice that I don't like."

"Then what do you not like?"

Anything but you. Nanlaki ang mata ni Nikolai sa naisip niya.