Chapter 21

Royal Government Palace
December 16, Monday

Kasalukuyang magkasama si Nikolai at Beatrice. It was awkward for the both of them. Nikolai placed Beatrice at last place for two consecutive weeks, why wouldn't it be awkward?

They were simply seated on a round table while facing each other. No one was speaking. Kung wala silang inumin ay paniguradong magiging estatwa na sila sa kinaroroonan nila.

But Beatrice had other things in mind aside from staying quiet. This is my chance. I have to see how much he's into Sophia already.

Tumikhim si Beatrice na siyang nakakuha ng atensyon ni Nikolai. He knew she wanted to say something.

"I've noticed that you like being in Princess Sophia's presence," paninimula niya. Tumango lang naman si Nikolai.

"She's close to being a friend of mine."

Hindi alam ni Beatrice kung paano niya  sasabihin nang natural ang nasa isip. She didn't want to look bad. She's already in last place, she can't make herself stay there till the end. "Do you like her romantically?"

Mahinang napatawa si Nikolai. "As I said, she's close to being a friend." He was beating around the bush. Beatrice noticed that.

She could only think of two interpretations to what Nikolai just said. It goes two ways, the statement "close to being a friend". One—he likes Sophia romantically but is just being cryptic since in front of him was another candidate. Or the opposite. Maybe Sophia was his best choice because they had one thing in common—they don't want to get married.

Beatrice was well aware of that fact. She saw how Sophia didn't even smile when she was called for first place. Any lovely other than Sophia would've been more than chuffed. 

Si Nikolai naman, walang ginagawang kahit ano sa mga prinsesa. He may be sweet and caring, but that's just him being a gentleman. He doesn't looks interested in getting to know them, just like now. He was quiet. He wasn't asking any questions.

Natanong na rin ni Beatrice ang ibang prinsesa, at pare-pareho lang sila. Nikolai never asked them about anything they liked or disliked.

It's either that, or he's already interested in Sophia.

Wala nang maisip na ibang rason si Beatrice, but she can't just stand still. She was happy that she was chosen to be there, but she's not even being given a chance to show her charms to the prince.

He's too preoccupied with someone else.

And she has to do something to make him a little less interested in her.

"Does Sophia feel the same way about you? I mean—'being close to a friend', that is," Beatrice asked.

Nikolai just shrugged. "I don't know."

And the conversation ended again. He kept giving out answers without even attempting to ask Beatrice back. Hindi talaga siya interesado.

But Beatrice won't give up so easily. "I heard from the other princesses that Princess Sophia doesn't want to get married."

Tumango na naman si Nikolai. "I know."

"And you're still placing her first?" she asked.

Nikolai didn't know where the conversation was leading to, but he'll entertain the princess for now. "Yes. I feel closer to her than the others."

"Even if she's interested in women?"

Nagulat si Nikolai sa sinabi ng prinsesa. Women? I don't think she is. She's not interested in anyone.