Chapter 23

Royal Government Palace
December 18, Wednesday

The four princesses were all gathered again at the garden, with a picnic mat on the grass, hanging out as usual.

Sophia was eating yet another slice of cake, while Vera was reading a book.

Genevieve was also reading a book, and when she couldn't understand a few terms, Vera was quick to help.

Si Pauline naman ay nilalaro si Spike. Napalapit na ito sa aso, at ganoon din ang aso sa kanya. Napapaisip na nga siya kung kanya ba si Spike o kay Nikolai pa rin eh.

"Hoy, Sophia! Ang kalat mo kumain! What you're eating is chocolate cake; kapag kinain 'yan ni Spike patay ka talaga sa'kin," pagbabanta ni Pauline.

Sophia couldn't help but gasp in disbelief. "Ako? Ako talaga ang papatayin mo? Just watch him well! Ang arte mo."

Tinignan ni Pauline nang masama si Sophia bago magsalitang muli. "If Spike here gets one single crumb of your chocolate cake on his tongue because you keep on dropping it, I swear you won't get out here alive."

And then, Sophia started pouting. She even started whining like a puppy. "Viv! She's threatening me! Death threats! Punch her! Punch her!" she cried.

Napatigil si Genevieve sa pagbabasa at saka tumingin kay Sophia. "I can't do that, Soph."

"Why not? You're stronger!"

"I'm a warrior, not an avenger."

Mas lalo lang humaba ang nguso ni Sophia. "Pinagkakampihan niyo ko!" she said. Mabilis niyang inubos ang cake at saka nagdadabog na umalis para ibalik ang platito sa kusina.

Napailing na lang si Genevieve sa inasta niya, habang yung dalawa ay walang pakialam.

Pauline just lied down on the grass and Spike was quick to curl into a ball next to her again. And Vera just continued reading. Ni hindi nga niya alam ang nangyari. She was too busy being in her own world.

Vera was too concentrated on focused. Ganoon naman siya lagi. She finds it hard to juggle to tasks. She can't multi-task. She does things one by one.

She can't talk to people and read at the same time. She won't be able to hear you. That's why back in the Aristocratas Kingdom, she can only read when she's alone. When no one can disturb her.

Baka kasi mapagkamalan siyang walang modo kapag kinausap siya at hindi siya rumesponde. She would've been thrown into the normal world a long time ago.

But right now, she was comfortable. She kept on reading if other people were around her. She could be—what was the term for that? Ah...herself.

Wala siyang pakialam kung kausapin siya nina Sophia at hindi siya makasagot dahil may sarili siyang mundo. She knew that the three wouldn't mind. She knew the three would not treat her any less of a friend.

"Vera, what does this mean?" tanong ni Genevieve habang tinuturo ang isang salita sa librong binabasa niya.

Lumipas ang ilang segundo na tahimik pa rin, at napatingin si Genevieve kay Vera na tutok na tutok sa kanyang binabasa. The warrior chuckled.

Hindi niya na lang ito inistorbo.

There was no hope to get Vera out of her reverie.

And that's where it confused them. They thought Vera can never be disturbed when reading. They though nothing can take her attention other than what she was reading.

But why is it that when Pauline mentioned that name, she was quick to turn her head and look?

"Hey, Spike! Where are you—oh, kay Nikolai pala."

Hindi alam ni Vera pero napatingin lang talaga siya. Parang automatic. She couldn't control herself. She just looked.

And there she saw Nikolai who was now carrying Spike in his arms. But he wasn't alone.

He was with Kate.

Lumapit sa kanila si Nikolai at Kate, kaya bumalik na si Vera sa binabasa niya. It was weird though. She can't read the words. And that was because she can't multitask.

She can't read and listen in on a conversation at the same time.

"Nagsawa ka na ba kay Pauline? Sa'kin ka naman pumupunta ngayon?" Nikolai cooed at Spike.

Natawa lang naman si Kate sa prinsipe. He was cute. But Vera was getting this unsettling feeling at the pit of her stomach.

Was it her stomach or her heart? Magkalayo ang dalawa, pero hindi niya alam kung alin ba ang may problema.

"Ang kapal ha? Bakit magsasawa sa'kin si Spike? Baka sa'yo nagsawa kaya laging lumalapit sa'kin?" sagot ni Pauline.

"You're picking a fight again, Pauline. Stop it," sabi ni Genevieve.

"I'm the one picking fights now? Siya ang unang nagsabi na nagsasawa na sa'kin si Spike!"

"That was only a joke, Princess," Nikolai replied.

"Don't fucking call me Princess. Tsk."

Kate was feeling left out again, so she decided to join in on the conversation. "Hindi pa ba kayo nagugutom? Sabay-sabay na tayo kumain," sabi niya.

Agad namang tumanggi yung dalawa. "Not hungry," sagot ni Pauline.

"I just ate, you two go ahead," sagot naman ni Genevieve.

Si Vera lang ang hindi sumagot.

Tatanungin na sana siya ni Kate, pero pinigilan siya ni Nikolai. "She's reading. She'll eat when she's hungry."

Hindi alam ni Vera pero parang sinaksak ang puso niya. It seemed like Nikolai didn't want to hear her voice, or maybe he didn't care if she ate already or not. Pero ano naman nga ba kung gano'n?

What was it to her? Why can't she think of anything to describe the feeling? Isn't she smart? She's read a lot of books already but why can't she find the right word for whatever was happening to her now?

Maya-maya lang ay dumating si Sophia. She was about to greet Kate and Nikolai who just arrived, but then she saw a gloomy aura.

Not on all of them, but one of them.

Vera.

Sinubukan niyang basahin ang sitwasyon, at dalawa lang talaga ang pumapasok sa isip niya.

Una, nagseselos si Vera kay Nikolai at Kate. Pangalawa, may nabasa siya na hindi niya nagustuhan.

Kung aasa si Sophia na gumagana ang kanyang plano para hindi na siya maging reyna, syempre iisipin niya na may nararamdaman na nga si Vera. She would go with her first deduction.

Pero kung ayaw niyang umasa sa wala at talagang walang pag-asa ang binabalak niya, she's gonna go with her second deduction.

But kow she's just feeling bad. Pakiramdam niya ginagamit niya si Vera para makuha ang gusto niya. Although it would be a win-win situation for both of them if Vera really has feelings for Nikolai.

Hindi na niya alam. For now, she's going to do what makes everyone happy. She won't think so selfishly again.

Hindi niya kayang may kaibigan siyang masaktan.

They're too precious to get hurt.