Chapter 19

Royal Government Palace
December 14, Saturday

Maraming kinakabahan sa pagdating ng araw na 'to. A lot of things will be happening.

Other than the fact that today is another physical test for the warriors so Killian could finalize their ranks for this week, the nobles will also be having their reports.

They were all busy. Except for the rebels and lovelies.

Habang nagkakabisa si Vera at ang mga kasamahan niya ng sari-sariling report (maliban kay Regan dahil tapos na siya), sina Genevieve naman ay naghahanda na para sa isa pang laban.

While they were preparing, Sophia, Nikolai, and Pauline were all together again at the usual spot in the garden.

Pauline was lying down on her side, embracing Spike who was curling into a ball right beside her.

Tinitigan muna ni Sophia nang mabuti si Pauline. She was checking if the rebel was asleep or not.

And after a few minutes, she finally decided to converse with Nikolai. "Hey, want me to set you up with Vera?" she asked.

Napakunot naman ang noo ni Nikolai. "Set me up? Why?"

Sophia frowned. "Because you like her?"

"No—that's not what I was asking. Why would you set us up? There's nothing we can do. Besides, ako lang naman ang may gusto sa kanya. Don't make it harder for us," paliwanag niya. Pero hindi nagpatinag ang prinsesa at nagpumilit pa rin.

"But there's still a chance, you know? If you really want it, you can get it!"

"We can't fight for everything we want. Sometimes we should know how to give up."

Mas lalong sumimangot si Sophia, at akmang sasagutin na sana siya pero biglang may ibang nagsalita.

"You haven't even tried yet and you're already giving up?" Pauline said. Nagulat si Sophia nang malamang ising pala ito.

"You're awake? Kanina pa?" takot na tanong ni Sophia. Tinapik naman siya ni Nikolai sa balikat.

"She already knows."

"Ahh..." Napatango na lang si Sophia.

And then, Pauline continued talking. "You should just do what you want. Don't mind what other people say."

Umiling si Nikolai. He was still doubtful. What if Vera does not and will never feel the same way? His efforts would all go to waste. What would he even be fighting for? What if Vera hates him for trying to break the rules—with her, on top of that?

"Act like a rebel. You will live a life full of freedom," dagdag ni Pauline. "Rebels aren't evil, nasty, or downright cruel. They're just people who care about their freedom more than anything else."

Tahimik lang na nakikinig ang dalawa habang nagsasalita si Pauline. "Did you ever see a rebel killing other people? Did you see a rebel committing a hideous and gruesome crime? No. That has never happened in all the years that rebels existed.

"We're labelled chaotic because we keep breaking the irrational and illogical rules. We're labelled rude and selfish since our own feelings matter more than others'. And we're labelled evil because we don't let others become the boss of us."

They stayed quiet again for a few moments, until Pauline finally sat up and started stretching again. "So..." she stood up, carrying Spike in her arms before saying, "will you let the rules and your doubt hold you back? I already told you—Vera likes you. She's just good at hiding it. Or she just hasn't realized it herself since she doesn't really know what that feeling is like."

Nang wala na namang umimik sa dalawa ay galit niyang sinipa si Nikolai sa tuhod. "Ouch!" he groaned.

"Tsk. Sinasayang niyo ang laway ko," sabi niya at saka tinakiluran sila. "I've told you already, haven't I? She also wants to break the rules. She badly wants to break the rules. Ang pinanghahawakan niya na lang ay wala siyang rason para baliwalain ang mga 'yon. You can be the reason she gains courage. Won't you help her?" Naglakad na paalis si Pauline at iniwang nakatameme si Nikolai roon.

Tumikhim si Sophia at saka tumayo. "I'll get some cake. Want some?" Nikolai shook his head in response. "Okay. I'll be back."

And so, Nikolai was left all alone, thinking to himself.

On the other hand, the warriors were caught totally off guard with the test.

Akala kasi nila, maglalaban sila. But Killian had other things in mind.

He suddenly made them sit on separate chairs with tables in front of them, and he placed a few pieces of paper on top, along with a quill and a bottle of ink.

"You'll take a written test on the types of exercises, our routines, the types of food you should eat for a healthy diet, and all that. Just answer them, it's only seven pages."

"Hala, bakit naman ganon? Sana sinabihan niyo kami!" reklamo ni Eugenie.

Killian sighed. "The nobles were given 500 item tests without the knowledge of what their topic will be, the lowest score they got was 488. I'm simply asking you for the details of your daily routines."

Eugenie groaned in frustration. Wala na ring nagawa ang iba pang warrior.

They all just went ahead and answered. Madali lang naman 'yon. Well, if they actually knew the specific names of the food they're eating and the terminologies used in their daily routines.

But Killian made sure no one knew a single thing.

Ang nobles naman ay kasalukuyang isanasadila ang kanilang mga report.

Since Regan already did hers last time (the reason why Isabella got evicted), all that's left were the remaining four.

Cressida quickly stepped up on the podium and started talking. "Princess Tatiana is well-behaved compared to the other rebel princesses. She didn't run nor hide from me. She didn't steal, break things, and she didn't talk bad about anuone behind their backs. She simply insulted some people from time to time in a somewhat friendly and non-aggravating manner," matapos magsalita ay bumaba na siya sa podium.

And the next one was Vera.

She gently walked towards the podium and made her report. "Princess Pauline is a non-violent rebel. She doesn't damage property or hurt other people physically. Although she does steal things, she doesn't do anything more than that. Objects aside, she doesn't really treat other princesses well. She speaks vulgarities and is easily pissed off, but she is very well-loved by the Lovely Prince's dog, which is a sign that she's not fake and completely rotten inside who just has a good front for show." Matamis na ngumiti si Vera at tumingin sa direksyon ni Cressida.

The other two nobles also swiftly finished their reports. Wala naman silang masyadong sinabi maliban sa mahilig manira si Diana at laging nawawala si Margaret.

The day just ended like that, and while Vera was walking towards her room, she somehow felt uneasy.

Like something was gonna go wrong the next day.

But what could possibly go wrong?