Chapter 24

Royal Government Palace
December 19, Thursday

Nikolai was currently on a date with Ota. Mabuti na nga lang at kahit papaano ay madaldal ito. If not, they would be in an awkward situation right now.

They were having small talks. Only simple little things, until Ota got tired and finally asked a question he didn't expect to hear.

"You already like someone, don't you?" she asked.

Natulala pa si Nikolai. Hindi niya alam kung sasagot siya o hindi.

"Sabihin mo na! Okay lang. Hindi naman na 'ko interesado. I won't get hurt," she said.

Walang nagawa si Nikolai kung hindi tumango na lang bilang sagot. "Yeah, I like someone already."

Ayun lang naman ang hinihinging sagot ni Ota. She was simply asking if he likes someone. She wasn't asking who that someone is. He's safe. He thinks.

"Si Vera diba? Tama ba ko?" Nanlaki ang mata ni Nikolai.

He started to cough, trying to avoid the question.

"Stop faking! Sumagot ka na!" Napatikhim na lang si Nikolai. Hindi na siya makakatakas.

"Paano mo naman nasisigurado?" tanong nito.

Ota couldn't help but laugh. "Hula lang."

Natahimik na naman si Nikolai. He didn't really know what to say. She knew already. She already confirmed it by herself.

Ota suddenly chuckled. She was trying to stop from laughing out loud, and was just about to stop teasing him when she saw the expression on Nikolai's face. "Wait—bakit ganyan ang itsura mo? Para kang nabisto," tanong ni Ota habang tinitignan si Nikolai nang mabuti. And then, her eyes widened. "Don't tell me...wait...sandali lang. Gusto mo talaga si Vera?!"

Kumunot naman ang noo ni Nikolai. He was confused. Kanina lang ay parang hinuhuli siya ni Ota, ngayon naman ito ang nagtataka.

"Yes...you said you knew?"

Napasinghap si Ota at nanlalaki pa nang sobra ang mga mata niya.

"You really like her?! I was just teasing you!" she said laughing.

Napasapo naman si Nikolai sa mukha niya. He could've avoided letting her know if he played dumb till the end. But he just had to let his defenses down too early.

"Wait...you like Vera? Akala ko si Sophia? Wait...paano 'yan? You can't get together with Ve—" Napahinto si Ota sa pagsasalita nang makita na naman ang ekspresyon ni Nikolai. He looks so helpless. Hopeless.

"Just do what you want." Napatingin si Nikolai kay Ota, and he let out a helpless laugh.

"I can't."

He liked Vera, sure. And Pauline said Vera liked her too. Pauline said Vera wanted to break the rules too. But what if something bad happens to them when they finally get what they want? Like Nigel and Valerie. What if they succeed now but fail in the end?

"You know the saying, 'live in the moment'? You should try that. Don't think about the future too hard. Just do what you want. Fighting for what you love is okay, as long as it doesn't hurt anybody," Ota said before standing up. "and I don't think you'll hurt anybody."

She patted Nikolai's shoulder to encourage him. "Just go for it. I support all the way!" sabi niya bago tuluyang umalis para iwanan si Nikolai. So that he could think.

Nikolai knew Ota was right. What if they don't actually end up like Nigel and Valerie? He's being scared for no reason. In order to not be like them, he only needs to do one simple thing.