Chapter 25

Royal Government Palace
December 20, Friday

Rejected.

"Sorry, Nikolai."

I was rejected.

"I can't."

I knew I saw this coming. I was prepared.

But why does it still hurt so bad?

"Nikolai!" sigaw ni Sophia. Bumalik naman sa wisyo si Nikolai na kanina pa nakatulala.

It was a good thing he decided to confess to Vera yesterday. Because for the next three days, he's going to be with Sophia. He can mope around all he wants.

"Bakit?" tanong niya rito habang nakalingon sa likod.

Napahilot si Sophia sa kanyang sentido. Nagsisimula na siyang ma-stress. "Bakit? I have been looking for you everywhere and I find you here at the very top floor of the palace sitting on the edge of the railings like you're going to jump off? Kanina pa kita tinatawag! I keep shouting at you to call your attention and told you to get down from there! Kanina pa 'ko nag-aalala sa'yo! Did someone die or something? You can talk to me about it, okay? Let's talk it out."

Napabuntong-hininga naman si Nikolai. Ni hindi niya napansin na nakaupo pala siya sa railings.

He wasn't really gonna jump off.

Para pagaanin ang loob ni Sophia, bumaba siya mula roon at saka hinila ang prinsesa paupo sa bench.

Sophia was close to tears. It was obvious. She was worried sick. Hindi siya sanay makakita ng taong may problema. She really didn't know what to do.

"Sorry for making you worry," Nikolai said while tapping Sophia's head.

Hinarap siya ni Sophia at saka umiling. "Ano ba kasing problema?" tanong niya.

Parang nag-replay na naman sa utak ni Nikolai ang nangyari kagabi. At parang paulit-ulit na namang sinasaksak ang puso niya.

"I confessed yesterday," sabi niya. Sophia's eyes widened. Ngingiti na sana siya nang malawak, pero na-realize niya na may mali.

If he confessed, why was he sad now?

At iisa lang ang rason doon.

He was rejected.

Sophia was about to comfort him with a few words when she saw a lone tear dropping from his eye.

Oh no. Oh no. He's crying. What do I do? What do I say? How do I comfort him? I don't know!

She was panicking inside her mind and she was really lost. Ano bang dapat gawin ng isang kaibigan? Ano bang ginagawa ng kaibigan para maibsan ang sakit na nararamdaman ng isa pa?

Hindi talaga niya alam. Wala siyang alam. Back in her Kingdom, there were only smiles. Not one single tear—maybe of joy, yes—but tears from sadness didn't exist.

So comfort was never needed. And so, she didn't know how to comfort him.

Sakto namang dumating ang taong sasagip sa Sophia na namomroblema ngayon.

Pauline came waltzing inside with Spike in her arms and simply sat on the floor, right in front of the two who were seated on a bench. "What did you say to her?" she asked as she put Spike down.

"I said I wanted to break the rules with her."

Marahas na napabuga ng hininga si Pauline. "Why did you suddenly confess? You should've taken it slow. Let her know you liked her through actions. Doon siya magdadalawang-isip. Why did you confess right off the bat?" tanong nito.

Hinampas naman ni Sophia si Pauline sa balikat at pinanlakihan ng mata. But the rebel didn't even bat an eye. "Well, whatever. Nakaamin ka na, but it's not over yet. Just show her how sincere your feelings are. Show her that she'd want to be with you. Show her that she doesn't have to be scared when she's with you."

"But I'm not a warrior or a rebel that she can rely on. I'm a lovely—which is even embarrassing to say. It's so feminine."

Napataas naman ang kilay ni Pauline sa kanya. "Do you know who the princesses and princes of kingdoms rely on?" tanong niya.

Kahit nagtataka, sumagot pa rin si Nikolai. "The Queen?"

Pauline nodded. "The Queen. Feminine, right? Tsk. Who you can rely on isn't based on gender or the kingdom. It's the person you trust the most."

Napahilamos na lang si Nikolai sa mukha. Hindi na talaga niya alam. Hindi niya alam kung itutuloy niya ba o hindi na. Ano bang dapat niyang gawin?

"Just fucking show her how much you like her. How can she break the rules for one simple confession? She doesn't even know that she likes you! Of course she'd reject you."

Hindi sumagot si Nikolai sa sinabi niya.

"Just do that. Trust me. You'll definitely get to her. She'll hesitate. She'll think really hard about it," sabi ni Pauline at saka umalis na.

Spike licked Nikolai's fingers which was on the edge of the bench as if he was comforting him. Walang nagawa si Nikolai kung hindi tumawa nang mahina. "Thanks, boy. Go ahead now."

Mabilis itong tumahol at saka sumunod kay Pauline na ngayon ay nasa loob na ulit.

"You feel better now?" tanong ni Sophia. Tumango naman si Nikolai sa kanya.

"Yeah. I'll just have to help Vera get over whatever's stopping her. I have one more week plus a few days to do that," he said with determination.

Sophia just grinned. "That's right. Tama 'yan! I'll be cheering from the sides! Wooh!"

Vera, on the other hand, was actually in a way worse situation. Her mind was a mess. Hindi niya alam kung ano bang dapat niyang gawin. Kanina pa siya naghahanap ng libro na related sa like, attraction, love, at decision-making, pero wala siyang makita.

How is she going to study if there's no book? There has to be a book that tackles those topics. Has it not been written yet?

Habang naghahanap ng libro, nakabunggo niya ang isa pang prinsesa.

"Oh, hi there, Princess Vera!" bati sa kanya ni Ota.

Tinanguan lang siya ni Vera at saka nginitian. "Greetings, Princess Ota. Sorry, but I'm looking for something right now," she said respectfully.

Bago pa siya makaalis ay pinigilan siya ni Ota. "If you're looking for books about feelings, go for the fictional ones. They're much more informative than educational books."

Fictional. Never knew these books would actually be used by me.

Wala siyang choice. She needs to read something that can give her answers. She needs answers. She would usually know the answer question easily, but this time, she can't.

How could she possibly find an answer when she doesn't even know what her question is?