Chapter 22

Royal Government Palace
December 17, Tuesday

It was still so early in the morning. Although most of the princesses were awake already, it was quiet. As always.

The nobles were just used to waking up early and reading random books. The warriors were having their individual exercises and some were studying about the woods, while the lovelies were taking bubble baths and eating dessert first thing in the morning.

That was when the bell rung.

Naalarma ang mga rebel sa narinig. And Pauline was disturbed from feeding Spike. Someone got evicted again.

She quickly stood up and went to the front gate, at nakita niya na rin ang ilang mga prinsesa na nagtipon doon.

It was only a few nobles and lovelies. The warriors were too busy to care.

Lumapit si Pauline kay Vera at Sophia na magkatabi at nakatingin sa labas. "Who is it?" she asked.

Vera simply shrugged, and Sophia squinted her eyes to try and see. "Madilim pa, hindi ko makita."

Tinignan ni Pauline mula sa kinatatayuan niya ang rebel na ngayon ay nasa harap ni Wade. Ilang segundo lang ay dumating na rin ang itim na karwahe, at lumabas mula roon ang Rebel Queen.

At dahil maaga pa, tahimik ang paligid. Kaya naman naririnig nila ang mga sinasabi nila. "So, what's your wish before you go?" Wade asked.

"A knife," sabi nito. Wade whispered something to the Rebel Queen, and she just nodded.

And then Wade faced the rebel again. "You will swear an oath to not cut a single flesh or strand of hair using that knife, then we're good."

Tumango naman ang rebel. "Yeah. Swear."

"This voice..." Pauline said. Now she knew who the rebel was. It was Diana. The troublemaker gossiper.

Maya-maya ay sumakay na ito sa karwahe at umalis na kasama ng reyna.

"What a lame wish. She's not thinking big enough," sabi ni Pauline. Napatingin naman sa kanya si Vera at Sophia.

They were thinking. And so was Pauline.

They were all thinking to themselves. Will Pauline get evicted too? When? Why isn't she doing anything to be evicted? Ayaw niya ba? Or is she just killing time?

No one knew the answer. Even Pauline herself didn't know the answers.

But deep inside, they all didn't want to see that happen. Vera, who at first wanted Pauline to leave, suddenly found it hard to imagine Pauline getting inside that black carriage as she wished for one thing she wanted the most before going away.

Sophia didn't even dare to think about it. Ayaw niyang isipin. She might jusy actually cry right there and then. That would be humiliating. Although she wasn't new to being humiliated since she does a lot of embarrassing things.

Si Pauline naman, nagdadalawang-isip na. She doesn't want to leave. But why? What's holding her back so suddenly? Why is she having a hard time out of the blue? What's the reason?

"Tara," sabi ni Pauline. Mabilis namang sumunod si Sophia sa kanya.

"Saan?"

"Hanapin si Genevieve. She's studying right now. I think."

Napatingin naman si Vera kay Pauline. "Studying? About what? Why?"

Pauline just scoffed at her. "You think only nobles study?"

Muntik nang mapairap si Vera sa sinabi ng isa, mabuti na lang ay napigilan niya. "I didn't say that."

"That's what you were implying."

"No it's not."

Patuloy lang silang nag-usap habang naglalakad para hanapin kung nasaan si Genevieve, kaya hindi nila napansin ang titig na nakasunod sa kanila.

Tatiana was staring at Pauline who didn't look jealous at Diana who just got evicted.

She's definitely hesitating. But Tatiana can't let anyone be queen. Only she can be queen.

Kasalukuyan namang hinahanap nina Vera si Genevieve, at hindi sila nabigo dahil agad nila itong nakita.

Genevieve was biting her bottom lip with her forehead creasing. She was obviously not familiar with some words. Vera knew that the vocabulary used in most books there were too deep. Sometimes too complicated especially when people just want to study about simple things.

Lalapitan na sana nila ito pero naunahan sila ng isang warrior.

Alexandra was walking towards Genevieve, planning nothing good again, obviously. "Hi there, Genevieve."

Napatingin sa kanya si Genevieve na pinigilan na lang mapairap. "Yes, Alexandra?"

"Nothing. You look like you're having a hard time understanding that. If you don't do well, you might drop back to the bottom again."

"Sure," sagot ni Genevieve.

Bigla namang sumingit sa usapan nila si Pauline. "And you? You're not having a hard time?" she asked.

Ngumiti naman si Alexandra sa kanya. "Hi, Princess Pauline. And yes, I'm not having a hard time. They're easy to understand especially if you're an expert in the area."

Tumango-tango naman si Pauline. "Ah, ganon ba? Is that right Vera?"

"Huh?" tanong ni Vera.

"Does banging your head on the wall and throwing the book to the other side of the wall and then quickly running to pick it up to make sure no one sees it mean that you understand what you're reading?" Pauline asked as she gave a playful smirk towards Alexandra.

Bahagyang umigting ang panga ni Alexandra at saka mahinang tumawa. "We should get going now. Breakfast is about to start."

"Eat well, then," sabi ni Pauline. Naglakad na paalis si Alexandra, at matapos ang tensyon ay nagsalita agad si Sophia.

"What just happened? You were just talking right? And who banged their head on the wall?!" she exclaimed. Hindi siya pinansin ni Pauline at saka tinapik si Genevieve sa balikat.

"Kain," sabi nito at naglakad na paalis.

Sumunod na rin si Vera kay Pauline, kaya naman naiwan si Genevieve at Sophia roon.

"Tara na, Viv!" sabi ni Sophia. Tumango naman si Genevieve sa kanya at saka binaba ang libro. "Iwan mo na 'yan! Wala namang kukuha niyan. That's a boring topic," she said as she grabbed Genevieve's arm and pulled her along.

Nagpahila lang naman si Genevieve sa kanya.

It was gratifying though. Both to see Alexandra in shame and a group of people defending her.

But it wasn't just any group of people.

It was Vera, Pauline, and Sophia.

Her friends.