Chapter 1 - Backstory

A/n
Ehem . . . As much as I would LOVE to get rid of some parts of this book (this one mainly), I don't want to lose all the progress I've made over all this time.
I'd just like to more formally let old and new readers know that some chapters will have been edited. Sadly, the unnecessary story parts will stay ,(to keep the books view count), but other issues will be resolved—grammar, POVs, ect.
This was my first time writing a story online, especially one this long, and I've improved a lot since then and become more serious about story telling/structure. One thing's for sure, the revision will be much, MUCH better.

Thank you and carry on ✨

Many female members of Atsumi's family have been Geishas for generations. Her mother, Miyu, was the first to break this tradition. She didn't like the idea of her daughters being looked at in a certain way by older men, so when her mother tried making her become one, she refused. But Atsumi's grandmother kept pushing it. So when Miyu was sixteen, she ran away, traveling to a different location on Tsushima island.
But they were after her, so when she went all out and fled the island.
After some time she wandered in Kyoto, and that's where she met Atsumi's father. His name was Isui, and he was two years older than her. He let her stay at an inn that his parents owned. He was a skilled swordsman who helped protect her new home from demons.
Miyu wanted to be abled to defend herself and others, so she trained to be demon slayer. Eventually when she was capable enough, she also helped out to protect the people. After a year of her living there, the two fell in love, got married, and had children. Atsumi had two older brothers and two older sisters, making her the youngest.

One day her parents informed the five of them that they had a mission together. They all wished them a successful trip the day they left, and their father left behind his Nichirin blade...just in case.
Atsumi's mother had been giving her lessons since each of them were eleven years old, and her father started teaching her brothers at the same age.

They were to be gone for three days, but they took longer than originally expected.
Atsumi's brothers went out to buy more food around noon. She and her oldest sister told them to be very careful, and not stay out to late. Everyone In their town was very much aware of the demons that came out during the night. They assured that they would be fine and set out into town.

While Atsumi and her sisters waited patiently, she went to the window and peeked through the curtain. The sun was setting fast. She started to panic a bit, and so did the other two when they realized how late it was as well.

The dusk air was cold, so the three of them huddled together with a blanket. Atsumi was trying her best not to fall asleep, but just as her eyes were closing, a twig snapped outside. She shot her eyes open and looked towards the door. It was then followed by footsteps. Panicked, she shook her sister awake.

She lifted her head up and opened her eyes. "Yeah? Are they back?" She asked.

"No, they're not," said atsumi. "And I heard something outside."

The two of them look at the door, as if waiting for something to come through. Nothing. There was only silence. But not long before they heard loud footsteps sprinting towards their house. Atsumi's heart picked up it's pace a bit, her body now in a panicked state.

Soon, a figure burst through the entrance. It was her brother. But...he seemed very scared. Not only that, but there was a cut across his face From his forehead, over his eye, and to his cheek. He quickly shut the door behind him and rushed over to Atsumi.

"Hurry, get up!" he said In a panicked tone.
He rushed you three upstairs and into their parents' room. Once all inside, he pushed a desk in front of the chair to keep it closed.
None of them had any idea what was going on. Half of his face was bleeding, mostly his eye witch was pooled with blood.

Where are the other two? Did... Did they demon attack them?! How did he get away?!

The thoughts raced through Atsumi's head. She really didn't want to think that was what happened.
He slowly turned and looked her dead in the eye, and immediately saw the terror in her eyes.

"W-what's going on? "What happened to you? And where are the others?" Your oldest sister asked, scared and confused.

The brother's breath shook as he spoke. "It...it was a demon. W-we were walking back and it came out of nowhere and attacked us," he explained. "I fought it off, but.... It got them. I ran back here as fast as I could."
This news made Atsumi shudder.

My...my brothers are dead? She couldn't believe your ears. She didn't want to believe it.

"We'll stay in here until sunrise. You should all go to sleep, I'm gonna stay up."
They each looked at him worriedly, but relentlessly got on the bed and tried going to sleep.
Atsumi stared up at the sealing, knowing that no one was going to get any sleep tonight.