Ch. 11 - Supermarket Run-Ins

RING

RING. RING. RING.

I shut my book I was reading and I stood up from my desk. It was finally the end of the day, and I was glad. Maya hasn't said one word to me since this morning.

I don't know if that is a good thing or not.

"I have something to ask you," Brent said, catching my attention as we walked out of the classroom to our lockers.

"Ask away," I said as I enlaced our hands together.

"Friday, since it's our first game of the season, we have this tradition where somebody wears our jerseys," Brent started before continuing,"Would you like to wear my jersey?"

I nodded, excitedly,"I would love to."

Brent smiled,"I knew you would like the idea."

We chatted about one of our classes while we opened our lockers and walked to the football field. Boys were already on the field, talking among themselves while the cheerleading squad was in the corner, going over something.

That's when I saw Maya with them. She giggled at something Naomi said. Her eyes met mine, and it was like she was looking deep into my soul.

"I gotta go get change," Brent said with a groan.

"Have fun with that. I'll be waiting in the bleachers," I told him before he kissed me on the forehead.

Then he walked off, and I made my way over to the bleachers. I sat down in the middle so I could see the whole field.

I saw my brothers walking onto the field, laughing at something. My phone rang in my pocket, and I grabbed it to see who it was. The caller id stated Mom do I quickly answered it.

"Hello?" I asked, placing the phone to my ear.

"Hey, sweetie, I'm stuck in a meeting. Can you stop by the store and pick up some stuff for dinner? I'll send you a list in a few minutes. If I send one of the boys, they will get whatever they what instead of what is on the list," Mom asked, quickly.

"Sure," I replied.

"Thank you so much. I'll be home soon."

"Okay. Love you Mom," I said, pushing hair out of my face.

"Love you too. Bye," Mom said before the call ended.

I sat there, watching Brent and the boys practice. Sometimes I glanced over at the cheer squad to see them doing flips and cartwheels.

The boys were ready for the game Friday night. I have a good feeling that we'll win.

Once practice was over, Brent took a quick shower. As I waited for him, Maya walked up to me.

"I'm riding with Clary. Btw, I didn't know you two had history," Maya said, batting her eyelashes with pettiness.

"That's none of your business," I replied with a fake grin.