Ch. 17 - Game Day Pt. 2

*DISCLAIMER: I NEVER PLAYED VOLLEYBALL OR KNOW THE RULES! SO THIS WHOLE GAME IS BASED OFF OF WHAT I KNOW.*

"YOU READY?" Brent asked me as we walked towards the gym

It was after school, and my game starts in an hour. I have been excited all day, but the closer the game gets, the more nervous I get.

I shrugged,"I think so. I'm extremely worried that I'm going to mess things up."

Brent stopped walking, and he made me stop by tugging my hand. I turned around to face him.

"Why are you so worried? You're going to crush it on that court," Brent asked, swinging our hands.

"I know. It's just that I haven't been in an actually game since..." I trailed off, feeling stupid.

"Babe, I have watched you practice for the last couple months in your backyard. You are amazing. Don't stress yourself. Just focus on the present, and not the past."

I smiled, wrapping my arms Brent's neck. I gave him a quick kiss on the lips.

After I pulled away, I said,"Thank you."

"Not a problem," Brent said as his nose hopped mine, softly.

"Not to interrupt, but I need Campbell," Nichole said behind us, making us turn to face her.

"I'll be there in just a sec," I told her, making her nod. I turned back around to face Brent, and I gave him a quick kiss on the lips.

"I'll be in there soon. I have to go pick up Vanessa. She wanted to see you play," Brent said, tucking a piece of my hair behind my ear.

"Okay. See you when you get back."

He nodded, and I walked into the gym. The other team–Lady Wasps–were practicing with each other. My team was on the opposite side, talking to Coach.

I quickly walked into the locker rooms, and I opened my locker. I changed into black shorts and a pair of tennis shoes. I took off all of my jewelry, and I placed them in a little box so they won't get lost.

I shut my locker before walking back on the court. People were arriving, so I had to get through a crowd to get to my team.

"Campbell, you wanna practice?" Adeline, a girl on the team, asked me.

I nodded,"Sure."

She grabbed a volleyball, and she tossed it up in the air. I put my arms together, and I hit the ball back to her.

We did this for a while until Coach told us that we had five minutes before the game starts. Nichole and I walked onto the court along with a couple of girls, getting into our positions. The other team did the same thing, and they all had a calm look on their faces.

I looked up at the bleachers to see my family, Brent and Vanessa, and the girls sitting next to each other in the stands.

They waved at Nichole and I and we waved back at them. Nichole's family was a level below them, and they cheered her on.

I also noticed that Maya was with them, but she wasn't paying attention to me. Instead, she was trying to start a conversation with Brent.

Jealous hit me like a wave, but I calmed myself down. I reminded myself that there was nothing to be jealous over.

"You good?" Nichole asked me, catching my attention.

"Spectacular," I replied before looking at the girls in front of us.

"You all know the rules," the referee said before handing Nichole the ball.

Nichole tossed the ball in the air, and she hit it over the net. A girl on the other team hit it over the fence, and Sasha, a girl behind me, hit it. I hit the ball over the net, and the girls rushed trying to get it. It hit the floor as one girl dove for it.

"One point for Lady Wolves!" The announcer yelled over the microphone.

The game continued, and we missed a couple balls, but we were still ahead with seven points. I took a water break, and as I was drinking my water, I saw Leah cheering in the stands.

I nearly spit my water out. If Leah is here then that means Grace is here. I set down my water bottle, and I looked in the stands to see Grace sitting next to David.

What was she doing here?

Her eyes caught mine, and I quickly looked away.

"Cade! Get back on the court!" Coach barked at me.

I ran back on the court. The other team had the ball, and they were getting ready to serve.

I was forgetting the past and letting loose, then wham! she appears out of thin air. Is she trying to make my life miserable?

"Campbell!" Nichole yelled before hitting the ball, slightly pushing me over, back over the net.

"Cade, get your head in the game!" Coach yelled over the loud crowd.

Right now was not the time to focus on Grace. I need to focus my mind on the game before me. Jenna, the girl behind Nichole, hit the ball over the net.

Something caught my eye so I looked to see Grace and Leah cheering my name. I took a deep breath as the ball came back over the net. I hit it with full force, and it hit with a loud slam.

"Go Campbell and Nichole!" I heard Gaberial yell, making me smile.

We had fifteen more minutes of the game, and we were all dripping in sweat. Coach traded out players, but kept Nichole and I in front.

Someone from the back of our team hit the ball over the net. The other team hit it back to us.

We kept doing this for a few moments. On the last time, I dove to the ground to save the ball. That's when my heart dropped into the pit of my stomach.

I saw Brent and Maya walking out of the gym doors, together. If I wasn't already jealous, I sure was now.

What in the hell was she doing with Brent?

I wanted to run out of here, and see what they were doing, but I could get kicked off the team if I did that.

Different scenarios of them two together played in my head over and over. My head was so clouded with my thoughts, I didn't see the ball coming at me.

It hit my head, and I lost my balance. I fell backwards into the hard ground, hitting my head against the court floor. My head throbbed, and my eyes we're getting heavy.

As everybody was rushing to me, my eyes closed, peacefully.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Hey guys!! This chapter was kinda short, so I'll be updating in a couple of days.

Thoughts??

Question : Why do you think Brent and Maya were leaving together?

⭐️ Vote & Comment ⭐️

•Kensli•