Ch. 18 - Aftermath

"SHE'S GOING TO BE COMPLETELY fine

"SHE'S GOING TO BE COMPLETELY fine. She's going to have that knot for a couple of weeks before it fades. Just keep an eye on her, and if she feels dizzy or has trouble seeing, come back immediately," I heard somebody say.

My head was throbbing, and I didn't want to open my eyes. When I finally had the strength, I slowly opened my eyes open to see a bright light.

Then Nick's face was looking over me. He smiled when he saw that my eyes were open.

"Look who's up!" Nick exclaimed as the other boys crowded around me.

"Boys give her some room to breathe," Mom joked as she placed her hand on my arm, comforting me.

"What happened? Where am I?" I asked them, looking around the room.

"You don't remember?" Gavin asked, making me shake my head no.

"A volleyball hit you in the head then you hit your head on the court floor, and you blacked out," Mom explained, and I groaned as I remembered everything that happened earlier.

"Just my luck, huh?" I asked, holding my temple.

"It's not that bad. I mean, at least now, everybody will forget about the cookie incident," Gaberial offered, making me laugh.

"Where's Dad?" I asked them, noticing that he wasn't in here.

"Dad went to pull the car around so you won't have to walk far. We thought we were going to have to carry you out," Micheal said, resting his hand on mine.

"This is not how I wanted tonight to go."

"So we had a stop by at the hospital. We can still continue with our plans tonight," Nick said, holding my hand.

"We'll order the pizza on our way home so it won't be that long for it to arrive. Then you guys can invite the girls and Brent–..." Mom trailed off, making me think back to the game.

Maya and Brent leaving. Together. Just the thought of it makes my heart hurt.

"I think I'll just eat dinner then go to bed. It's been a long evening, if that's okay with everyone," I said, trying to get out of seeing Brent.

What if she just needed help or something like that?

I'm just overreacting, but then there's Vanessa who said her Barbie doll looked like Brent's old girlfriend. Am I really going to believe a child with a wild imagination over my boyfriend who says he never had a girlfriend?

"That's totally okay. Now let's get going or else we will be stuck in here all night," Mom replied before backing away from the bed so I can stand up.

I slowly threw my legs over the bed, and I grabbed a hold of the bed. I pulled myself up, perfectly fine. It was the first step that sent me falling. Gavin caught me before I hit the ground.