Ch. 25 - Sunshine

THE FIRST THING I NOTICED when I entered the room was there was a lot of machines around the hospital bed

THE FIRST THING I NOTICED when I entered the room was there was a lot of machines around the hospital bed. In the middle laid my father.

He was black and blue with bandages everywhere. He had a cast on his wrist and foot, and his chest was rising and falling steadily. He looked calm right now, but I knew if he was awake, he would be distraught.

His hair was a bit longer now, but other than that, he looked the same. There was a chair beside the bed and another chair in the corner.

"I'll sit over here," Mom said, gesturing to the chair in the corner.

I nodded before sitting next to the hospital bed. My father's hand laid on the bed beside his side. I slowly laid my hand next to his.

"I here. I'm right here," I whispered before holding his hand.

I laid my head on the side of the bed, exhausted. That's when I finally let my eyes close without protest.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

I woke up to somebody playing with my hair. I groaned as I started to wake up. I looked up to my father's eyes awake. I sat up straighter, and he gave me a weak smile.

"Hello, sunshine," he said, quietly, putting his hand on his stomach.

"Hi," I replied, softly.

I looked behind me to see that I was alone in the room.

"Mrs. Cade went to get a cup of coffee from the cafeteria. She threw a blanket on you before she left," he said, gesturing to the thin white blanket.

I nodded before saying,"How are you feeling?"

"Like I have been ran over by a bus, but I'll make it through," he said, trying to lighten the mood.

"I was going to call you, but I lost track of time and you ended up in here," I said, looking around the hospital room.

"About that, Campbell, I was trying to see you because I don't like how things...ended between us. I want to have a relationship with you," he explained before wincing as he tried to sit up.

"Do you want me to go get the doctor?" I asked him, ready to run out the door if needed.

He shook his head,"No, I'm fine."

I settled back down in my chair as he sat up against the pillows.

"I think in order to move on with our relationship, we have to start over, fresh. My boyfriend made me realize that," I said, playing with my fingers.

"I agree. What do you want to talk about?" He asked, pushing his hair back.

"That night five years ago. I want to know the whole story," I said, quietly.