Ch. 45 - Saving Leah

THE WHOLE BUILDING WAS SILENT

THE WHOLE BUILDING WAS SILENT. The only sound was my heavy breathing. I made my way upstairs, looking around for any traps.

I walked down the hall to the Home Ed room, and I saw the door was standing open. I stepped into the room to see Leah sitting on top of a table with Jax behind her with a gun trailing up and down her arm.

Jax looked the same except for the dark rings underneath his eyes or the weight he lost.

"I'm here, Jaxon. Let her go," I said, taking a step closer towards them.

He shook his head,"Not quite yet. We have things to discuss. Sit." He pointed to a stool right in front of Leah. I sat down, not letting them out of my sight.

"What do you want to talk about?" I asked him, calmly.

"I told you that I wanted to make you suffer. I told you that I wanted you to feel the pain I felt," he said, walking around the table with the gun still in his hand.

"That's correct," I said, trying not to show my fear.

"While I was sitting in a cell, I was thinking of a plan to get you back. Then an idea popped in my head," he said with an evil smile as he got closer to me. He put his arms on either side of home, trapping me.

"I want you to choose," Jax whispered, making me look at him confused.

"Choose what?" I asked him.

He titled his head,"I want you to choose who dies tonight."

I frowned, and I shook my head,"No. I'm not going to do that."

"Tsk. Tsk. Tsk. See if you don't choose, I'm going to kill everybody you care about. If you choose, I'll only have to kill one person. See where I'm getting at?" He asked, backing away from me.

"Why are you making me do this? Like I told you, if I could go back and change what happened, I would," I asked him, standing up from my chair.

"You think you lost everything, but I'm here to show you that you have so much to loose!" Jax said, and in a swift motion, he slapped me.

"Campbell!" Leah exclaimed as I recovered from his slap. My cheek is now on fire, and I could already feel the mark he left.

"You see, I lost everything! You haven't! How is that fair?!" Jax exclaimed, grabbing me by my wrists, tightly.

He didn't have the gun in his hand. I glance over to the table to see it was there. I can get Leah out. I just have to distract him.

"Jax, your mother wouldn't want this," I said, shaking my head.

He brought my face close to his. "How would you know?"

"I read articles on your mother's death. She owned the bookstore three blocks from your house. Everybody around her said she was a kind and thoughtful soul. She wouldn't want you to hurt me or my loved ones. I think you know that deep down, too," I explained as his grip on my wrists tighten even more.