Chapter 10 | spirits

Today was a big day. L had cameras placed in the houses of his biggest suspects, one of which the taskforce wasn't to happy about. A highschool student named Light Yagami. That's right, the son on cheif yagami.

Standing around the big stack of monitors, Watari finished hooking everything up and L went to his computer to load up the footage. You'd heard about Light through two different perspectives. His fathers and L's. L seemed sure he was kira. Lights dad insisted there was no way Light could be Kira. Two sides to the story, both a bit biased.

But... L did have evidence. Timelines matched up and Light was a suspiciously perfect character all together. The screens turned on, the houses of the suspects revealed to the eyes of the taskforce.

"Thank you Watari" L said, taking a sip of his tea.

Today it was chamomile. With the rose water you'd been sneaking in. It was starting to take effect too, he seemed a smidge more confident today.

"This seems so extreme" Matsuda said.

"If it ensures the innocence of my family it's a risk I'm willing to take" cheif Yagami replied.

As he spoke, his son walked through the front door over the cameras. He greeted his sister then walked upstairs stopping at his door for a moment. Like he was analysing.

"He'd put paper in his door to see if anyone had come into his room. I had it put back" Watari explained.

"Hmm, not outwardly suspicious. Teenagers want their privacy after all" L replied.

Light opened the door to his room and put his school bag down, taking off his blazer and flopped back onto his bed to rest his feet from the walk home. Nothing seemed too suspicious until you heard something... out of the ordinary.

"Hey light, isn't your sister going out with friends? Let's play some video games"

Who was that... there was no one else in the house? Light didn't respond to the raspy voice. No one else seemed to hear it.

"Hey? Are you paying attention to me?"

And that's when you saw it, through the wall walked a Shinigami. Your eyes widened but you stayed silent, as to not draw attention to yourself. Of course the others couldn't see or hear him.

"Hey light, stop ignoring me!"

Light for up, grabbed a coat and his wallet and keys, walking out if the house to leave. The Shinigami following him the whole way. So L was right, Light was kira. He had to be, he had a Shinigami following him. He must have hidden the death note somewhere, and it seems that paper in the door was a ploy, he's not replying to the Shinigami because he knows someone has possibly bugged his room. This Shinigami is addressing Light by name and suggesting video games. They're clearly friendly with each other.

"L" you said.

L turned to face you, tilting his head.

"Can we talk, now-"

"Can it wait until we've observed mor-"

"I've noticed something that's really eye opening" you said, putting emphasis on eye.

He caught on, realising you'd seen something the taskforce can't. Following you into the hall, you became frantic.

"He's Kira. There's a Shinigami with him!"

"I didn't see anything" L said.

"Because you haven't touched the book remember? I'm a deity, Shinigami are a type of deity. Therefore we can see and hear each other. They're male presenting, tall, grey skin, sharp teeth. Real punk looking. Light probably didn't acknowledge him talking because he must know the room is bugged. The paper must have been a ploy" you explained.

"Well that confirms things... not that we can do much about it right now. We don't have any evidence of the supernatural existing to the taskforce and law system won't believe us"

"We need to get that book, I need to talk to that Shinigami. And I definitely need to get all the protective spells and materials I can and cover you in them. Keep watching, look for any movement that looks out of place. When you come into contact with Light, bring me so I can talk to the Shinigami"

"Alright. You're sure of everything?" L asked.

"Definitely, when we come into contact he'll probably be able to sense I'm not human. There's no telling if he'll mention me to Light or not, but if I can defuse the situation better the atherians and Shinigami this case will be a lot easier. For now though, I'm going to run out to get protection stuff. I'll be back in an hour or two"

"Ok... be careful"

With that exchange you grabbed your bag and headed out. You remember spotting one of those whimsical, spiritual, witchcraft shops on your flight down here. Surely they'd have something. The afternoon sun was warm, reminding you of the aether. You did kind of miss it, but the human realm was very interesting in this day and age. The 1800s will probably be your favourite time down here but this one was pretty cool too.

Your bag was something you had to keep away from the taskforce too. It was full of aetherial stuff as well as your normal wallet, phone and keys. Your hand mirror, emergency ambrosia leaves, your spell book, bottles of spirit sap and rose water. All things you couldn't get in the human realm that would be rather suspicious.

Rounding the corner you spotted the shop, walking in you felt a massive wave of positive energy. All the wind chimes, incense burning, lucky cat statues, candles, crystals, herbs... it all radiated such positive energy. And the shop was very pretty too. It looked like a fairy garden or something.

"Protection... what can I use to keep him safe..." you mumbled to yourself, walking around the shop.

Something caught your eyes. A sign in big bold red writing.

Make your own crystal necklace.

Under it was a little station of trays in crystals on necklace loops and blank necklace chains.

"Perfect! If he wears it he'll be protected wherever he is!"

Making your way over to the station, you picked out a silver chain and looked at all the crystal charms, thinking of what ones to pick. Obsidian was a must, one of the best stones for protection. Picking one and slipping it onto the chain, you next went for amethyst, another strong protective one. You added jade for good luck, Jasper for empowerment and finally, a big rose quartz. Rose quartz are known to the atherians as the love stone. It helps boost self love and attract affection. And the gods know L need both of those things.

A total of 5 crystals, that would definitely keep him safe and happy. If only you could get an opal, his birthstone. That'd help immensely. But boy are they expensive.

You'd go with this for now. While you were here you may as well get some incense too. Not only to they cleanse areas of negative energies and drive malicious spirits away, they smell nice so you'd have an excuse as to why the hotel rooms always smell like strawberries.

This would work, this would help. Surround L with positivity. He needs it, especially in this case. As long as you were around kira or that Shinigami weren't going to touch him. And by the end of this case mark your words he WILL love himself more than anyone else.