Chapter 19 | respond

Waking up in the hotel bed, nightgown loosely hanging half off your shoulders as your wings had knocked the straps in the night, you sat up.

"Hmm? Oh damn... forgot to shift back..." you mumbled upon realising your wings.

Good thing everyone had left the night before. You got up, walking over to your suitcase and picking some clothes out, changing and then grabbing your mirror and hairbrush.

You sat on the bed, mirror handle between your knees to hold it up as your brushed your hair out.

"Hmm... might make some rose tea today..." you told yourself as you pulled the hair that fell to your eyes away from them.

Topping everything off with your ambrosia leaf crown, you left your mirror on the pillow and shifted back into your human form, unlocked the door to head out and make food for breakfast.

"Ah! For the love of god Light-" you jumped, running into him.

Hold on... Light? What's he doing here.

"Oh- sorry. Wasn't looking where I was going there. Good morning" he replied.

"Yeah good morning, why are you here?"

"Ryuzaki told me to come. He wanted an opinion on the second kira response tapes"

You gave him a confused look for a moment. What was L up to? Why get Light involved? Unless this was a way to profile him or lure the second kira out.

"Right, where is he?" You said.

"In the main room, tell him I'll be back I'm grabbing a drink"

Walking past him into the main room you found L and the taskforce reading over the script for the response.

"Good morning (y/n)!" Matsuda smiled.

"Good morning" you replied.

You walked up to the group and grabbed L's arm, trying to drag him away.

"Wha-" he began.

"We need to talk"

Dragging him off into another room you closed the door behind you. You had questions.

"Ok firstly-"

You grabbed his cheeks and pulled him into a quick good morning kiss. He took a second to process it before cracking a slight smile.

"Good morning darling"

"G-Good morning" he replied.

"And secondly- you better have a damn plan here mister. Why in the name of mount Olympus is light here?"

"I'm going to get him to respond to the second Kira's response. I believe they've already met... so having the person that is kira pose as kira could lure the second kira out because they know it's the real kira talking through the police" he explained.

"Alright... just don't let him get too close to the core details of the case. And make sure he doesn't see any of my magic stuff. My mirror, my flute, my spell bottles and my jewellery in his hands could be the end of us"

"I wouldn't dream of it, don't worry about it"

"Ok, now do you want some rose tea I'm going to make some"

"Yes please"

You let him go back to the case, heading to the kitchen to make said tea, finding Light still looking though the cupboards.

"The glasses are in the corner one" you said.

He opened it, finding what he needed.

"Ah, thank you"

You began to get tea cups out, boil some water and grab tea bags. Making sure to count out the exact amount of sugar cubes he liked. You'd have to pass up on throwing any magic into his tea today since Light was right behind you.

"I've been meaning to ask (y/n)" he suddenly spoke up, glass of water in hand.

"Yeah?"

"You wear that headband a lot, why?"

Quickly thinking up a believable lie, you needed to cover up the fact it was ambrosia. There was no telling if Ryuk had told Light about you.

"My grandma gave it to me for my 16th. She got it in rome" you said.

"Ah, that explains it. It's just an unusual piece so I was curious"

"My family is one for the theatrics. Necklaces and signet rings just aren't enough. She gave my sister a bracelet with rings connected to it in the shape of a skeleton hand. This is mild compared to that"

Stirring the tea, you grabbed some cookies to put on the plate next to L's cup.

"Also, are you and L like... together"

If you were drinking you would have done a spit take. How the fuck did he know that?

"N-no, why?" You asked.

"It's just you two are always around each other and seem really close. I asked L the other day but he said you weren't, wasn't sure if I should believe him though. He seemed shy about it which is unlike him"

"Oh no no, it's just my job to be around him all the time. Plus I've been working for him for years so I guess we got close"

"Fair enough, I'll see you back in the main room"

When he left you let out a relived sigh. He'd probably still be suspicious, but at least he didn't know for sure. If Ryuk did tell him about you there was a chance he knew about your mirror or flute or other magic items. If he knew about them and stole them he'd have direct access to deity magic. And he already has enough of that with the death note. You took the tea out to L, who thanked you with a smile. His smile was so cute...

While you drank your tea you listened to the taskforce read over the script, L consulting Light about it.

Something felt off, maybe it was ryuks presence somewhere near the hotel. Or maybe it was another warning feeling like when lights dad had the heart attack. Whatever it was you were on guard about it. Maybe it was just an unease about light knowing insider kira case information, but you knew it wasn't good.

You'd let it simmer for now, see what happens as you had no idea why you felt this way. That was the downside to being a deity, you can feel everything.

Every energy, vibration, spirit, emotion of others. Something told you the case had just taken a turn, what it was you didn't know, but you'd soon find out.