Chapter 56 | reawoken

Cold air hit your skin, as well as what felt like a wing. You stirred from your sleep hearing hyperventilating next to you. When you opened your eyes you find yourself under one of Ls wings, the blankets tangled around him and pulled off you as he stirred. Your drowsyness immediately dispersed when you realised that he might be having a night terror. You sat up, shaking his arm to wake him up.

"L, L wake up!" You said.

That's all it took, he instantly woke up, startled from the sudden movement.

"You ok?" You asked.

"Yeah..." he puffed.

You gave him a concerned look.

"That was weird..."

"Nightmare?" You asked.

"I think... maybe I was lucid dreaming..." he replied.

"You were moving around a lot, hyperventilating, what the hell were you dreaming?"

"Some girl screaming a lot. I was crying for some reason, there was blood on my sleeves and I was crying... so much yelling..." he said.

That sounded... weird. Could very well be a nightmare, but if it was a normal nightmare he wouldn't have been hyperventilating.

"Where was all this?" You asked.

"Some dark street. Looked old. Everyone was wearing old fashioned clothes, like really old fashioned, gowns and suits. It was all so blurry, I was in the doorway of some building and a girl was screaming outside, telling someone to stop and that a doctor was coming. A males voice was yelling too. It all goes a bit... patchy for a second. Then there's all these I'm guessing police officers pulling a man covered in blood away and I'm just... screaming at him. Crying and straining my voice telling him he's all these old timey insults..."

You gave him a confused yet concerned look. That sounded too detailed to be a dream.

"What were you saying?" You asked.

He thought for a moment, trying to recall his words.

"You're nothing but a monster from the deepest pits of hell, the blood my wife and your own are on your hands you foul heathen..." he said.

It clicked. The second he said the words wife it all fell into place.

"L that's not a dream. That's recalling events of a past life. The blood of my wife? You're yelling at the man that killed me" You said.

"I didn't think remembering past lives was possible..."

"It's rare but it can happen. Ever heard of the cases of little kids who remember details of events that turn out to be true? Me being back in your life is probably jogging your memory. All souls hold into those memories but never recall them to remember the life they currently live"

L looked at you, gears turning in his head. He reached for his laptop sitting in the open suitcase of the hotel you currently stayed at. The hunt for Light and Misa had started a few days ago now, and you needed some rest so you stopped at a hotel. Opening a search engine he paused to think before typing.

'Double murder...'

"What year did you die?" He asked.

"1703. Why double murder?"

"I said the blood of my wife AND yours. So he didn't just kill you, he killed your sister. You wouldn't know since you were dead by then"

He added the date and hit enter. Scrolling for a bit until he spotted your name.